Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any insight into time/media consumption for blasting lead paint off of brick walls. I have a project that is about 25,000 sq. ft. that has to be treated as if it is lead even if it is not. I am just trying to get some approximate estimates for time(I know this is not exact I just do not have much experience at all with the Geoblaster. I rented one for a month and it was used for a very specialized project, so I have nothing to compare it to. The customer is just looking for some approximate initial numbers so I wanted to see what I could come up with for a possible time range. Just trying to find a average sq. ft./hr. range I can expect for the geoblaster.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very tricky especially if you can't spot test. There is a lead neutralizing coal slag media from Flat Rock bagging that is used in dry blasting.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Easy with the neutralization word there. It doesn't neutralize the lead as in makes it disappear but it stabilizes it and encapsulates it in a Portland mix that keeps it from leaching. Just want to put that out there. It's probably Blastox. We've been using it since the 80's for lead stabilization for disposal. It's ok to do it during removal, but you cannot add it to the waste stream after removal due to then your treating the waste, and that's another whole can of worms there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just finished a brick job of 2000 sq ft. We were blasting relative new acrylic house paint (first coat, 4yrs old, 2nd coat, about 1 year after first) Tough as nails. We started with a 185 compressor and quickly switched 375 cfm, did around 65 sq ft / hr. with 185... 120 ft with 375 compressor. Not worried about lead. Geo-blaster, med crushed glass at 80 psi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts