Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a problem with crushed glass when I first start blasting a lot of media comes out then it tapers down to a small amount. Then I adjust the pot allowing more media to come out, but I get that first big blast of media then the rate lowers down to get the correct rate I turn the adjustment several times open to get the media to come out enough after that first blast. When I do that that the first second or 2 its really big blast of media. I'm not sure if that's normal or is it this pot. The manufacture soda blasting systems in Houston said it is a multimedia pot. I'm blasting at 80psi. I thought it may have been I was trying low pressure like 50 but it does it at 80 as well. I blasted some max strip and it didn't do that seems to happen with the glass. I haven't had time to call them yet I will tomorrow.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

Kell at first I thought you had a moisture problem but your in Arizona so it should not be that. Then I thought you may be choking your pot, but if it will run for a short time the idea I had is your auto air valve may have a pin hole in it. The pin hole will make your pot choke itself that will lead to the chugging your getting at the nozzle. The only other idea I have is the valve you are running will not meter out a fine grade abrasive like glass. I have only run glass in my SX 13 this pot was made for soda only. Glass had not been invented when the pot came out. The valve on this pot is not even close to a blast pot. My question for you is what are the variables, vlave type, dead man controls, moisture, compressor type. When a compressor gets some age on it the air and oil seperator element needs to be changed oil in your lines changes the whole deal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kell how much time are you spending between starting and stopping? The reason I ask is I've noticed my pot doing the samething, but mine's just a regular "sand" pot with a micro valve. I think mine is when I'm off the deadman gravitiy still pulls media through the valve letting it "puddle" in the hose. When I start blasting again it blows all of it out at one time then starts working as it should. I've not been blasting long so I may be way off. Just an idea.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Kell you say they tell you is's a multi media pot but the diagram is clearly that of a soda only pot like they sell at chesapeak so I am not sure what the deal is. I think what paul was saying might be right about it isn't designed for the heavier glass media. . It may also use softer metals for valves if it is meant for soda so it may get worn quickly by abrasives. When it has this trouble shut it down and open the bottom. After you let it empty look inside and see if there is glass impacted on the sides. It may be a mosture problem like Paul said. It will build up and just have a tunnel that some loose media falls in to when you jolt the pot by activating it each time and then the rest just hugs the walls. It should work at low or high pressure the same. It should be a steady flow. You could have a piece of debris that is intermitently getting in the way too. Take the bottom off and blow it out real well .

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They say it has a different metering system then the soda only pot that diagram on there site is just an example of what it looks like. I sent them an email see if they call me tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts