Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys/gals...

I have some motorcycle wheels that I get from time to time that are peeling and chipping.

I can handle small stuff in my blaster however wheels are just to much for my compressor/ blast set up..

Does anyone operate around me in south jersey? Cumberland county?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Give a few hours there are a few from around there
Hope so thanks!

Removing plating from aluminum or steel via abrasive blasting is going to be unsuccessful.
I'm not talking triple plated chrome it's just decorative so no brass or nickel etc... just aluminum rim dipped in chrome.. I haven't seem real chrome done right! In years....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sounding good... This sucks lol..
Well can anyone remove Powder Coating? I have a chemical stripper however my tank is not big enough to fit 4 chairs and table legs (awkward shape) I need down to bare metal...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
every last one of us can remove powder coating. It just takes a little more time than most paints if it was done right. The question is, Are you interested in paying for it.

Yes I am interested in paying for it ...
But so far I don't know if anyone one is down my way ??
How much does it run an per hour? To be done right that is? I don't need holes blown through customer parts or so rough that I cannot successfully recoat it..
I use 80grit aluminum oxide in my cabinet for my jobs.. Which is ideal finish for me..

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Cost can run between a hundred up to 200 hundred an hour

These guys have huge operations cost per hour
Between diesel, grit and labor and $$ behind the
Curtain with cost of Matinace and tax

So sit down when taking to the guy

·
2,018 Posts
Here are some guys from Jersey

Didn't know how to attach so I took pictures of there profiles on here
There numbers on it

:)

Attachments

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I actually meant to say "if the powder was done well". Some powder comes right off. I would figure a chair could take up to an hour. Partially because of using a finer grit so as not to beat it up too much. might go through a couple of bags if it's that expanded steal
( mesh) . Bring them to me in s e pa if you like. pottstown

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here's the chair (1of4 )I have (no mesh) the wood comes off which will be already off..

I'm fine with paying someone to do professional work however I can't exceed what these would cost my customer to just buy a new set... if I'm paying $4-500 to blast then my coating another 3-400 ... Most will say Nevermind and lots have and others don't mind... I've had work done at another place but they destroyed the customers piece and that I cannot have.. I have lots of parts that need blasting that would be easy for you guys with the right equipment...

·
2,018 Posts
I've done a lot of the old chairs table sets

Some are willing to pay what it's worth because there not available anymore some pack up and leave

Some of the people think that It's like a power wash and paint .....
The paint is the thing you can't tell how long till you start, I've done a set of 4 chairs and a table all in a hour Then I've done sets in 3 hours

We do a lot of old cast iron gates to, it's the same thing, If it's decretive and has many delicate parts than it's going to take awhile

Bike frames Too, shooting at a round pipe ya only hit 1/3 of it, flipping the frame multiple times to get one pipe Sometimes up to a half hour on them

·
Registered
81 Posts
chrome is my arch nemesis ! everyone calls me and asks me to blast their aluminum wheels with chrome plating i tell them go buy new wheels or i can just profile for paint and blast loose stuff off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i've done it on steel rims and it was a tough job, but doable. they were heavily corroded so i don't think it was very good chrome. it took a while and left a copper-ish faint color on the steel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go have the chrome dipped. I turn those customers away with that same answer. You can etch it but it if pops in any one area it has to be removed. As for the furniture, i never give a solid answer on cost. To many variables, as has already been stated depending on quality of coating and round pieces take time to make right, ex. when there being powder coated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well thanks guys..! I appreciate the responses very much, as I assumed if I had the compressor power I would be able to do it but I see it will still be a problem even with better equipment .. The wheelsi will just turn away as I always did then.. The chairs will just get stripped in my chemically then...

·
Registered
46 Posts
FYI i have a powder coater that strips things like this before he brings them to me to etch, he pays about 1/3-1/2 the regular price cause its easier. But get a real blaster that knows what he is doing. GL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts