Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a blaster here he seems busy said he is booked all week with jobs. I told him I had a truck I wanted the outside blasted he said he would charge $400. That seems very cheap he said he uses a mixture of crushed glass and aluminum oxide at low pressure. I called him a few years ago before I got into blasting about doing another truck I had which was a total job he wanted like $1500 he must be charging a lot less now days.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
he might be "BS"ing you... as for how much work he has..
if he sounds bussy, peolpe think your good (I guess)

He probably is hurting for work, not knowing you called for work before.

Money is tight for the nation right now.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know he re uses because another customer that I have next week he lost this guys business because he told him that his truck cab had to be grease free because he recycles his media. He also told the customer that it was his problem to get the cab in his blast room because he didn't have a fork left. Since I was able to come to his house and I don't care about recycling he was happy to pay me $500 to do it where this guy was going to do it for $400. Another thing that was strange he told me that he uses glass and oxide because the metal needs a rough finish so the primer can hold on to because he said a soda blasted metal left the metal too smooth and the paint will peel off in sheets. After I hung up I thought okay if that were true then why doesn't the factory paint peel off because when you strip a car with soda the metal is like it was when it was new. He must be busy this week because I asked if he was able to do it tomorrow and he said no and he was booked up all week. I don't really like blasting with soda it makes such a mess I'm going to get some doors to practice on with glass see if I can blast at low pressure without warping. Is it possible to use glass without warping at 50psi?

·
2,018 Posts
"I don't really like blasting with soda it makes such a mess I'm going to get some doors to practice on with glass see if I can blast at low pressure without warping. Is it possible to use glass without warping at 50psi? "

We have had descutions on this site many times before.

we have talked about heat, grit size and how hard you hit it and the angle of the blast. all are factors.

thing to know befor blasting, have your customer read and sign Glens contract. cover your ass

my auto body guy makes me use fine glass, because the more course the grit, the more of a chance there is for warping.

start at a low psi, big nozzle, hit at an extreme angle. use med to fine glass and dont stay in one spot to long. (like welding, move around alot)

big flat areas with no rust, soda! let the body shop ruff the metal by hand for paint.

try lots of things. Practice, Practice, practice... ;)

my 2 cents

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Yes Kell you are correct about the factory profile still being there if you blast with soda or walnut. Any way it's our job to remove coatings. It's the painer's job to prep for paint. They can run over it quick by hand or use etching primers when they need to. I think this other blaster just makes things up as he goes along.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Kell get your self some walnut when you can. It isn't dusty like the soda and works the same or faster.

Ask surface tek what one bag would cost to ship. Marco will charge you $25,000. to ship one bag.

I have made a copy of my blasting agreement and one of the invoice without my company name on it so any one can use either the way it is. If anyone in here would like either one e mail me I will e mail or fax you one to reproduce.

·
Mr Blaster
75 Posts
I have up to today always used coal slag for auto body and frame strips. It leaves it profiled roughly to 120 grit sandpaper, and have had no complaints. These people are going to final sand, prime, bondo, prime, and then base and topcoat at least 2 coats. When I do the painting Im at least doing 2 epoxy, or one shop prime and one epoxy before topcoats. Bottom line is that you dont see any roughness.

I dont think $450 to $600 is out of line for doing a Mustang, or similar car inside and out.

My crushed glass arrived today, will get back with everyone on how it worked for me. 6,000 pounds of it, hope I like it. Marco did give me a new hat out of the deal!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
mrblaster

Did you buy the super sacks or all bags. They wanted a thousand shiping for two super sacks to me. I pay $160 shiping for two from new age. And about $40 less per sack as well. There bags were an ok price but $400 shiping for one skid. That was with a lift gate which ads on but I get that from the other company every time. I hope you got a good deal.

·
2,018 Posts
Glen I think some times, the travel distance matters alot.

We are closer to NJ than TX. maybe the extra miles add on.

I bought those 6 bags of walnut (to try) from Marco and they charged as if I had a the whole pallet shipped. not bad...they worked out at $57 a bag. Holly CRAP!!!!!
even buying in bulk, they were double in price for S&H.

Surface Tek gave me a really good price on walnut, Thanks again Glen for the lead on that :clap:

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Jim's very sensitive about the hat, don't let him see your post.

Now's the time to start calling around before you need the next order. Jim's right it depends on where they ship from, as well as which shipper. I think you should shoot for under $2. per bag with three skids. The guy at marco said they use fed ex as there default pricing even if they don't end up using them. And they won't look around unless you tell them to. Never be shy to demand a better price on shipping, make them do the work if they want your business. I bet you could call the same company back right now and tell them to see what they can do for your next order, I bet they will shave a little off to keep you. Let me know if they do.

·
2,018 Posts
:thumbup:
I have nothing against Marco, They have Grate service on the blasting pot and related Items that went with it.

Glen's right it’s the American way, Shop around. Look for a better price.
I live in Maine and have called California for prices.

I just want my free hat from Marco…… :shifty:

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Do me a favor and call at IDS in Indianapolis Indiana (317) 545-0670. Ask for Dan Roark and tell him that Chris at Mobile Sandblasting sent you to get a quote on there media and shipping He came to the house last Sunday to look at my blast pot project and seems to be a nice guy. He is full of blasting knowledge. Tell him what you are paying and see if he can beat it. Don't ask for the other salesWoman, every time I've been up there she seems to always be in a bad mood.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts