Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been asked to blast a 300,000 dollar bronze statue does anybody have any experience in blasting bronze statues ?
my current setup is a sullair 375h after cooled compressor and a 600lb pot and plan on using 180 grit Aluminum Oxide with a number 4 nozzle any suggestions? I was considering wall nut shells but the guy finishing it does not want a polished surface thank you in advance.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Removing the patina from bronze devalues the item big time for most art collectors that I know. They would be horrified by the project. That's probably why you're getting the big silence here. It's just not really done very often unless graffiti contamination is involved, and that usually involves chemical removal, not abrasives.

Not that I'm experienced on anything blasting other than second hand watching my husband do it, but I would think the setup that you describe is much too abrasive for bronze. It's mostly copper after all. Something infinitely more gentle would seem to be called for if the details on the statue aren't to be lost. Here's where I show my ignorance for sure.... what about soda blasting?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we are blasting it because it is used a water feature so it has build up of calcium / lime deposits .
baking soda would turn the bronze green so i am told

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Question is: "considering wall nut shells but the guy finishing it does not want a polished surface..."

why? :blink:

low psi air and a really fine glass ? would leave a low profile
turn up psi till you get were you need it?

But having a profile would let things stick to it worse over time???

What about glass beads?

·
Registered
710 Posts
we are blasting it because it is used a water feature so it has build up of calcium / lime deposits .
baking soda would turn the bronze green so i am told
Blast it dry with fine walnut shells.... this way you keep the patina and you'll remove the crap calcium and lime deposits.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question is: "considering wall nut shells but the guy finishing it does not want a polished surface..."

why? :blink:

low psi air and a really fine glass ? would leave a low profile
turn up psi till you get were you need it?

But having a profile would let things stick to it worse over time???

What about glass beads?
yea for sure we are going to do some test spots.
but the object is to remove the patina because they are going to re-patina the statue.
anyone have experience with aluminum oxide? the blast shop on oahu was telling me that since the grit is so fine with the A.O it tends to clump and recommend and air dryer of some sort but I do have an After cooled and filtered compressor

how do you post pics? I have a pic of it

·
Registered
710 Posts
yea for sure we are going to do some test spots.
but the object is to remove the patina because they are going to re-patina the statue.
anyone have experience with aluminum oxide? the blast shop on oahu was telling me that since the grit is so fine with the A.O it tends to clump and recommend and air dryer of some sort but I do have an After cooled and filtered compressor

how do you post pics? I have a pic of it
What's the texture of the bronze statue... smooth or sand casted?

If it's a smooth finish you might want to go with fine glass beads at 35 and 45 psi

If it's a sand cast finish then real fine recycled glass at between 35 and 45 psi

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have lime and calcium deposits. You should try spraying vinager or even coca cola, that removes this type of deposits within a couple of minutes and then you just need to wash it off. The walnut shell at low psi sounds as a promising solution. Regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts