Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on a job on changing out some outlets. I noticed that half of the outlets were black to brass and half were not. (I independently checked the black and it was the hot wire, while the white was the neutral.) Does it really matter? I have always done black(hot wire) to brass in my past. So when I got this job I was surprised it worked for all these years. The owner of this house said that the electrical hasn't been touched for over 20 years and he never had a problem.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
think it has something to do with having the proper phase when you plug something in

a sparky should be here soon to yell at you, hang in there and good luck:thumbsup:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I would reply, but given your track record of telling us we're all full of shît anyway, I won't bother.

Go ask your landlord. He's an Electrical God.

Reactions: EBFD6

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
As long as the brass is connected to the smaller slot on the outlet then it is correct. If both screws are silver are you gonna be lost?

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I can not believe this guy is back!:blink:

He has asked two of the most basic electrical questions as if they where ohms law in Chinese...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I can not believe this guy is back!:blink:

He has asked two of the most basic electrical questions as if they where ohms law in Chinese...

Next, he'll tell us the paperboy says it's OK to put AWG14 on a 60 amp breaker.

After that, we'll find out we can use speaker wire for service entrances.

Then he'll 'educate' us about not needing boxes for switches and receptacles.

Oh, and if you flip asphalt shingles over, they'll last 100 years.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Why do you electricians get all the luck? Rarely does somebody post something so mind-numbingly idiotic on the framing section. This is the second time this week for this guy. I guarantee he's one of your cohorts just ****in with you guys. Nobody can be that stupid and immune to verbal abuse.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just ran a stove today on 14. It didn't trip so what in the hell are you talking about? Elitist snob!

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't take the idiot reply's personal. I'm here for business. I mean I changed 30 outlets at $25.00 buck each, so I made good money. I'm only posting because I was wondering was I wasting my time making sure the "black was to the brass." I'm guessing it doesn't really matter. It's probably just some stupid thing some electrician made up.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I just ran a stove today on 14. It didn't trip so what in the hell are you talking about? Elitist snob!
Because you have a penny in the fuse box. Now, I'll have you know that pennies DO HAVE a rated ampacity. AND, it's on each and every penny in your pocket.

That's right..... the ampacity of a penny is listed right on the penny. Courtesy of the United States Mint.

Where is it? Why, look right above Lincolns head.

I'm serious. It's there.

Go look for yourself.

See? I told you it was!

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I don't take the idiot reply's personal. I'm here for business. I mean I changed 30 outlets at $25.00 buck each, so I made good money. I'm only posting because I was wondering was I wasting my time making sure the "black was to the brass." I'm guessing it doesn't really matter. It's probably just some stupid thing some electrician made up.
I'm calling BS on this....:no:

NO ONE is going to pay a handyman that does not know the most BASIC things about electricity that much...NO way no how.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
You gave yourself away there. But **** you had half the forum going for a while. If I had to venture a guess I'd say J F in retaliation? Not to mention you used the handle handyman...anything which is a toxic word around here. Could be 480sparky or Magnettica but somebody is taking us for a ride. DICK!

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
You gave yourself away there. But **** you had half the forum going for a while. If I had to venture a guess I'd say J F in retaliation? Not to mention you used the handle handyman...anything which is a toxic word around here. Could be 480sparky or Magnettica but somebody is taking us for a ride. DICK!
It's prolly not 480..He is telling the guy off...That would just be weird.:laughing:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I misspoke. I ran that stove, two can lights and three outlets on that circuit. If you give me the ok I might be able to throw the microwave and air-conditioner on the same breaker. Can I do that? Or should I get one of those 2 breakers in one thingy's?

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Gotta be someone messing with us.... BASTARD!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jack, handyman 99 is full of **** for sure. Nobody is that insistent on being humiliated. But 480 is my lead suspect right now. If you've got evidence that points otherwise you need to be forthcoming.

·
Registered
189 Posts
No, Magnettica just surfaced for the first time in a few days. 480 has been exonerated. It's Magnettica.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm calling BS on this....:no:

NO ONE is going to pay a handyman that does not know the most BASIC things about electricity that much...NO way no how.....
It's funny because I don't want to paid doing electrical. I hate doing electrical. I specialize in plumbing. I've been shocked enough times. It's strange because every electrical job I get, I never want to accept the job. However, my customer like me because I'm very honest. The funny thing is most of them don't like electrician because they are not honest. An example is like the guy that hired me to change the the outlets, he first tried to hire an electrician. However, the electrician insisted that the whole house had to be rewired. When he told the electrician he didn't want the whole house rewired, the electrician told him that he was risking electrical fire and tried to scare him. The electrician still charged him $75.00 for a service charge and he didn't even do anything.

That's not the point anyway. So is it true.... since nobody can confirm that black is really to brass. That's what I though. Next time I change outlets, I'm just going to make whatever looks easier. I know that ground needs to stay with ground. That's obvious. However, the hot and neutral probably doesn't matter. Not unless somebody can really confirm and tell me why it matters.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.