Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there code for whether the red or black feeder should go to leg A or leg B (and associated branches) in a panel? I'm aware of a convention for black to legA, but I can't find any code justification for it. This came up in an inspection of a sub-panel. Black-to-neutral and red-to-neutral are within 0.01V in the present case. Single phase.

Thanks,

Bob

Edit (some time after my original post): The local authority amends the code to require specific colors.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Bob..... Interesting question.

But I wasn't even aware of that convention... so I'm really interested.

Matter of fact, I would not even know which was leg A or B without reading the panel schematic.

You know I'm just a GC (in Colorado) that has been doing alot of flips where I own the property and can permit w/o a elec license. Never been called on it or heard of it.

And when subed out, I never noticed it.

Happy New Year

Peter

Maybe because you were in a subpanel, I guess it's easier/convenient to keep the legs color coded (in case you loose a leg) but I've put in a bunch of sub panels without ever paying attention to that???? Was I wrong???

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bob..... Interesting question.

But I wasn't even aware of that convention... so I'm really interested.

Matter of fact, I would not even know which was leg A or B without reading the panel schematic.

You know I'm just a GC (in Colorado) that has been doing alot of flips where I own the property and can permit w/o a elec license. Never been called on it or heard of it.

Happy New Year

I've always conventionally put black onto the left lug, red onto the right, in a right/left panel. We moved a subpanel in a current job; only when putting in the branches did I discover that we had done it in reverse from the usual. I checked and didn't find any code about it, and no objections were raised on rough inspection. But on final, the inspector noticed it and asked me to reverse everything. The work was 10 minutes, but it delayed final for 3 days.

I'd never heard of single phase having any rule.

Happy New Year!

- Bob

Edit (some time after my original post): The local authority amends the code to require specific colors.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. The correction notice didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Color me embarrassed: There's a local amendment specifying colors, for all the common flavors of voltage/phase. I had checked NEC and state, but not local.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
It doesn't matter what the code says. The Authority Having Jurisdiction has the final say.
This is SO not true.

If an inspector tells you to do something that is blatantly not required by code, do you bow to him and do it? How far would you go "to make the inspector happy"???

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
This is SO not true.

If an inspector tells you to do something that is blatantly not required by code, do you bow to him and do it? How far would you go "to make the inspector happy"???
I tried to fight that battle once and ESA told me I had to bow to the inspector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts