Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Marco catalog at the Blac max fans. Anyone Use that brand? I'd like to set my self up with that and a dust sock. I'm not sure what size cfm you need to keep a basment type of job clear. Do you tend to put one bringing air in as well?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You can get those fans and socks straight from Eagle Industries. Here is their link: http://www.eagleind.com/site276.php

Give them a call and ask for Mark Coulon. He is a sales Rep. Tell him that Benjy Abbott from Birmingham, Alabama sent you and he will treat you right. Marco just buys them from them and then marks them up.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
James I was just saying to Panderson how I so far have never done any clean up or tenting with boats. So far I have been able to just blast and leave. They barley want to pay as it is. I have been just charging about $25 a foot. Were you able to get a good price for all that work? I guess you will make a tent with 2x4s and plastic? Sounds hard to drag hoses around and get in and out. I'd love to see a picture of it all set up.

Thanks for the fan info. I have one now that is too small. I need to fidn out what cfms it is so I can compare it. Looks like yours will do over 3000 cfm with the sock on it. That sounds like plenty

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
James I was just saying to Panderson how I so far have never done any clean up or tenting with boats. So far I have been able to just blast and leave. They barley want to pay as it is. I have been just charging about $25 a foot. Were you able to get a good price for all that work? I guess you will make a tent with 2x4s and plastic? Sounds hard to drag hoses around and get in and out. I'd love to see a picture of it all set up.

Thanks for the fan info. I have one now that is too small. I need to fidn out what cfms it is so I can compare it. Looks like yours will do over 3000 cfm with the sock on it. That sounds like plenty
For a small boat, $25 is ok. But for boats 28’ and over I go up to $35 to $45 LF (Not SqFt.)
This price covers building my tent, materials, blasting, and clean up.
Removal of spent media is left for the owner or marina to manage. If they don’t want to manage it, then I charge $50 for waste removal.
The tent’s are not hard to build, We can put one up in about ½ hour and they come down fast to.
We tape to the side of boat with hull tape. NO 2x4 waste of time and they can scratch the boat too.
:thumbsup:

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

The best tenting or containment plastic I have ever run across is DuraSkirm. The stuff is bullet and blast proof. I get it from Eagle I have never tried to buy direct.

·
2,018 Posts
The 3 mil is strong enough, you toss it after blasting. The anti fouling paint is nasty, it’s easier when done to sweep up what you can in bags and then collapse the tent and cut in to smaller manageable pieces and bag it to.
Fastest and cheapest way I have found.
I have other reusable containment tarps for other jobs.
Most Boats are a days job just a note...
If I had a big long job that DuraSkirm sounds like a good product.

·
2,018 Posts
No I have a surfacetek multi pot. I get about 30 min per bag. You can get 50 min I think with the soda only pot but then you need two pots.
I was looking at the surfacetek multi pot before I bought mine.
I bought a Buster Blaster from Chesapeake, and my sand pot is from Marco.
I’m happy with both of them.
1 can run 50lbs of soda through in 50mins and it can hold up to 2 bags.
The adjustment is really fine on it, Just a ¼ turn is night and day.
I find sometimes I run it to rich, always tring to get sand results from soda...
I do like the idea that one pot does it all, some jobs I have to bring 2 pots. But not all the time.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not Tony. They are quite expensive. I would prefer the larger one, 20 inches or so. It is $1,700. I havn't had much call for indoor work yet to justify it. Then if you want o use a dust sock it will run you another $500. with an adapter.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can get a 16 " for a few hundred less. I figure once you buy one it won't get any larger. The thing is if you want to use a dust sock ever it cuts way back on the cfms. It depends what you think you will use it for. I think Jim uses a 16" for his boats just fine. I'm sure he will tell you shortly.

·
2,018 Posts
Just bought the 16" with sock, the fan ran somthing like $1,114. sock $260? from Marco
Going to try it on a boat, should be at the house in 2 weeks its back ordered
OK, now that I’ve had this thing for a while I would go with the biggest.
The 16 is good for mobile jobs. Did a basement for a guy and it works good.
The dust sock does cut the cfm by half, but I cracked the sipper on the end to let a little out.
This winter, I’ve been using mine for a shop fan, cut a hole in my wall and built a large box out back, wraped with landscape Black cloth (the breathable kind.) works like a charm. Only little bit of dust gets through.
But I now kick myself in the a$$ for not getting the 24”
16” moves 3400 CFM ( need at least 8000 cfm for my garage)
I have used on jobs without the sock, I place it behind me so the air blows aross the job so I can see.
Only works in a remote location.
I think they can be built to run on either 110, 12v, or air?
Mine is 110v

PS: It worked great on my boat tent!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts