Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to do a small repair on a wormy chestnut floor. The original flooring contractor used a black putty to fill in some knots and other areas to make it blend in.

My question is can I put black concrete dye into Durhams rock hard putty for this or is there something else I can buy let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
647 Posts
From their site Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty:
CAN I TINT IT BEFORE PATCHING HOLES?
Yes. Durham's can be colored by adding a water-based coloring agent to the putty when mixed. Use black to create gray colors. Use a dry powder pigment that you might find at an art supply store.

You may not get black with Durham's, however, there are non-hardening wood fillers in black.

Add: Timbermate makes a black wood filler that hardens: Timbermate | timbermategroup
I've used the product a number of times, but not in black.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Burn in.

Just buy the stick, use a soldering iron to melt the product in. Use a denibbing file to smooth it.

Tom

·
Eater of sins.
4,687 Posts
Burn in.

Just buy the stick, use a soldering iron to melt the product in. Use a denibbing file to smooth it.

Tom

Hmm... I would not use the burn-in wax as I think it would be too soft for a floor application. I love using it for renewing furniture though.

Andy

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Hmm... I would not use the burn-in wax as I think it would be too soft for a floor application. I love using it for renewing furniture though.

Andy
Used it a multituide of times, never had it come out or dent. The company [Finish Repair] that color matches my common colors for the touch up kits we send with our cabinets recommends their burn in on floors.

Tom

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I was MIA. I’m actually meeting the original floor installer today. He is going to cut out and replace that board area. Will get pics.
Thanks for your help. I think we all learned some tricks on this one.
The area we are repairing is probably the heaviest traffic spot in the entire house. That one chestnut plank was hollowed out pretty good by those worms a couple hundred years ago! LOL

I’ll get some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 to using System 3 with their black dye. This is a piece of cherry with a big old knot hole filled using their General Purpose epoxy and their black tint. IIRC, I pre-coated the hole with just clear epoxy to prevent seepage through the pores, which can be a problem even in closed pore wood like cherry..

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
That was the only downside to the epoxy.

One floor got a vapor barrier, and even without it, I had to do 2, and in some places 3, fillings because of leakage.

However, the end product is great. It’s extremely durable, sanded out great, and looks very nice.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the epoxy. The floor installer replaced the board. The finish is flashing some. Wished he had done the black epoxy.

Will try to post pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts