Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What camp do you fall in. Long Bits or just a long bit holder...

The majority of my fastener is Torx *GRX* and slowly finishing off my square drives.

I do have long bits for the squares.
For the GRK's, I'm using Wiha torx bits on a Wera bit holder.
Looking to get more compact with a 1 piece bit.

Have yet to find any good quality long bits in the Torx - either by Apex, Wiha or Wera...(preferred selections of bits).

Curious what's you go to stash/method on driver bits

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What camp do you fall in. Long Bits or just a long bit holder...

The majority of my fastener is Torx *GRX* and slowly finishing off my square drives.

I do have long bits for the squares.
For the GRK's, I'm using Wiha torx bits on a Wera bit holder.
Looking to get more compact with a 1 piece bit.

Have yet to find any good quality long bits in the Torx - either by Apex, Wiha or Wera...(preferred selections of bits).

Curious what's you go to stash/method on driver bits
Bit holders, but I keep long bits because sometimes bit holders are too fat.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Bit holders, 1" bit inserts are much cheaper. The holders last..... well until I loose them.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I prefer long bits and no holder as they are thinner and give me a better view. I do use holders sometimes, though. Haven't found any bits that are exceptional, though. I just change them as needed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like to skimp in bits....they either work or frustrate the **** out of you.

The ones I prefer (wiha, wera) don't make them in long lengths. Grrrr.

So I either use the fatty rapidator holder or the old skool metal collar 1 piece holders.
Bought a Wiha, worst $16+ bit holder I ever spent...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I like to have both around. My longest bit is longer than a my longest bit holder. Don't have to get all up inside casework when your slaming boxes.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,797 Posts
I prefer long bits.I use a lot of screws in channel, soffit j and siding. Bit holders are just to bulky for what I do. Although I do have some holders for special extra long reach work.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Wera magnetic bit holder. I can't stand not having the magnet. Everything falls off. The wera is nice cause the bit locks in so it can pull out.
I have some long bits for when a holder is too large.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Always 2" or longer. Want the best driver bits for grk? Buy the grk driver bits. If you're going into real hard material with the t-10 and you're using an impact you'll probably break the tip, use a predrill to prevent breaking the tip.
The GRK bits are absolute crap. Even with GRK screws they suck. GRK screws, however, are great.

Wera magnetic bit holder. I can't stand not having the magnet. Everything falls off. The wera is nice cause the bit locks in so it can pull out.
I have some long bits for when a holder is too large.
Wera makes the best bit holders.

Wiha makes the best bits.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
long bits 99% of the time, i hate bit holders as the bit alwasy comes out when driving screws with my impact driver

Reactions: TNTRenovate

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Never found a holder that will hold 100% of the time. I use long bits about 85% of the time. The only time I use a holder is when I need to change bits, however lately I have just pulled out my spare impact and loaded it with the other bit I needed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts