Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anybody has an opinion on biscuit joiners?

I ended up buying a Freud JS100 for $139 CDN (about $125 US) out of necessity on my current job. I've been building tapered columns out of 1/2" crezone, and that stuff doesn't rabbet well (ends up delaminating), so I decided to use biscuits.

Any thoughts on the Freud?

Any thoughts on my tapered column joint technique?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I just bought the same one from Lowes for $139. I could not find it cheaper even online. What a beautiful piece of machinery. I love DeWalt, but their joiner was a joke.The only complaint I have is that the exhaust port clogs easily.
I was hired to do some wainscoting in a staircase & having no idea how to use a biscuit joiner I was shocked at how easy it was! I feel like an idiot for not buying one years ago.
The instructions are simple, because it is simple.
Steve

I'm wondering if anybody has an opinion on biscuit joiners?

I ended up buying a Freud JS100 for $139 CDN (about $125 US) out of necessity on my current job. I've been building tapered columns out of 1/2" crezone, and that stuff doesn't rabbet well (ends up delaminating), so I decided to use biscuits.

Any thoughts on the Freud?

Any thoughts on my tapered column joint technique?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I've been using a Ryobi for a decade or more, not like I use it a lot. It works well if you know how to compensate for it's restrictions.

We call it 'cheating the machine'. It goes back to my days as a CNC programmer. Make a fair machine work well or fool it altogether.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,753 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I've been using a Ryobi for a decade or more, not like I use it a lot. It works well if you know how to compensate for it's restrictions.

We call it 'cheating the machine'. It goes back to my days as a CNC programmer. Make a fair machine work well or fool it altogether.
I bought a craftsman a few years ago, thinking how much will I use it? I don't think that it was built to cut 40 #2 slots in a row.:laughing: It got kind of a funny smell about slot 30.

It is indispensable in some situations, it's either that or dowels. A couple of weeks ago I had to make a 14" Pressure treated threshold for a church. They used to grow big trees!

·
Registered
134 Posts
After checking out the PC, Dewalt, Ryobi, and Freud, I ended up buying the Freud @ Lowes for $139 US.

It just feels like a good quality tool when you pick it up.

I just used it yesterday for the first time to make come radiused facia, and it worked great, I did notice that the exhaust port cloged up easily.

bisquits and pocket screws, for the tapered columns.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I haven't tried it without the bag to see if it still clogs easily? I do like the design of the case & where the bag is stored. I also like the anti-skid faceplate design. The DeWalt looked like it would be all over the place.
Steve

After checking out the PC, Dewalt, Ryobi, and Freud, I ended up buying the Freud @ Lowes for $139 US.

It just feels like a good quality tool when you pick it up.

I just used it yesterday for the first time to make come radiused facia, and it worked great, I did notice that the exhaust port cloged up easily.

bisquits and pocket screws, for the tapered columns.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I have a Porter Cable also. I use it primarily for alignment and backed up with Kreg pocket screws. I like the PC because the fence (or plate) can tip to 135 degrees and it also has an accessory cutter blade that uses 00 biscuits for really small stuff. Exhaust port hooks right up with my little Shop Vac - very handy when doing interior work - window sills etc.
Good rig
T:thumbsup:

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
Thats not a biscuit cutter.

S.O.T. for once Warner. We all know the best plate joiner is a Lamello. Sorry it's not so green.:laughing:

Well, that Lamello costs as much as the Domino.

The Lamello is just as nice, except it's a damn biscut.

He need a duo-dowel machine from Mafell then!!

Then we have pocket screw Leo!!:laughing:

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
i have a porter cable (back when they were still good) and love it. i have gone thru atleast 10 containers of biscuts of all sizes. currently have it set up with ff size (face frame, used a smaller blade).
i have havent used anyother brand, so i would have no comparison.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also have the porter cable biscuit joiner. I mostly use it on PVC trim boards with plastic biscuits. I have had not one problem after several hundred cuts in PVC. The thing works like a champ. I would be hesitant to buy one now that Dewalt owns Porter Cable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I may keep it. I cut 80 slots in a row without any issues.

It has no issues with clogging if you run it without the bag (I never even put the bag on yet).

Pocket screws are a good idea for the columns, this was my first time building them so I wasn't sure if the biscuits would be enough. I glued and clamped the columns indoors (its -15 degrees outside!) and tacked it all together with brads. The edges and nail holes are covered with a corner bead.

Thanks for the tips,

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you cut 80 slots in a row, would it not be faster to just cut a slot with a router. Just change the bearings on the bit to change the depth. You could even rip a spline instead of using biscuits or just tongue and groove it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts