Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Remodeling contractor. I am having a good sized driveway done(3000s.f.). due to the stage of construction and with winter coming soon. I am going to have the binder put down, then top coat in the spring. The question for you paving guys is , What is a fair amount to hold back for the top coat? I'm looking to be fair to both of us,with enough to make sure he comes back or that I can get someone else if he doesn't,50%-50%/, 60%-40%? I have no idea. Thank you.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
What is your paving section? 8" base stone, 2" binder and 1 1/2" topping is pretty typical. Getting the base stone down and properly compacted is where most of the labor is, material costs depends on the asphalt costs, which go up and down like gasoline. If I had to pull a number out of my ass I would say hold 25%. But I agree with the earlier poster that you should talk it through with you sub and come to a mutually agreeable number.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
What is your paving section? 8" base stone, 2" binder and 1 1/2" topping is pretty typical. Getting the base stone down and properly compacted is where most of the labor is, material costs depends on the asphalt costs, which go up and down like gasoline. If I had to pull a number out of my ass I would say hold 25%. But I agree with the earlier poster that you should talk it through with you sub and come to a mutually agreeable number.
Thanks Mud.... There's some helpfull info for us non-paving novices.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a paving contractor in Colorado and if I were you I would find out how much on average the price for 1/2" asphalt would cost in your local market. Call the contractor and find out where he's purchasing his mix and then call the supplier and get a price on the material. From that point understand you get 81.81" of asphalt in a square foot for 2" which would mean you take your square footage and divide it by your 81.81 and that gives you your tonnage total. Take that number and multiply it by the price you received from the supplier and that will give you the magic number. This number won't be right on because depending on how often he purchases from this supplier will determine the price he's purchasing the material for which may be substantially less then the price you will get quoted for. This way you have paid for only the work that he's done and you aren't out of any monies. If you are in a cold climate you won't have any problem finding someone to do the work in the spring because everybody will be fishing for work and since that the prices will be cheaper.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone especially Mudpad and Tlrhouses, for your help. I was always planning on discussing it with my paver,and being flexible. But I had no idea what a Fair range was. Now I do, Thanks again,Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts