Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just reminded my self why I have a hate for so many dewalt tools. Bought this thing about 4 years ago. It has never worked right from the start with flames flying out the sides and it destroying belts after just a few seconds. Dewalt always told me they had no reports of problems with this sander. Seems they don't read the reviews about it online. There dealer "fixed" it 2 times yet it still never worked. Guess it was too much to ask for them to put a belt in it and test it. Tried my self the other day to fix it. Used it again today and this happens in seconds. Stupid POS. What makes it even worse is they have discounted the sale of it. Strange that as I thought it had no reported issues. Anyone got this and found a fix for it doing this? Tool Angle grinder Machine Concrete grinder Power tool Technology Electronics Electronic device Magenta

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That screw adjust does nothing but line the belt up but as soon as attempt to sand something the belt either flys off or normally destroys its self. you can get the belt lined up turn the belt sander over then back again and the belts not where it was. Basically that screws as good as a chocolate fire guard

·
Registered
106 Posts
Normally I buy quality tools but I was out of town and needed a belt sander so I went with Menards "Tool shop" $29 belt sander and I have beat the snot out of it and it keeps coming back for more. On certain tools low end seems to work the best. If it ever breaks I can buy 3 of these for the price of the high priced models...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Is Dewalt now associated with Black Decker..... something rings a bell.

That would explain alot.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,331 Posts
I have the same one... Or it used to be. It made me mad enough that it got downgraded to hammer practice.

Everything was wrong with it, not just the tracking. Maybe I just thought that after the third belt got ripped up.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I saw the title and thought Dewalt as well. We bought one 7-8 years ago for a job sanding 12x12 rail caps. All it needed to do was go round and round.

First one shredded the belt as soon as I turned it on, didn't even get a chance to adjust it. New belt, adjust a bit, shred belt. Went through three or four belts thinking it was me. Took it back, got another one and my guy turned it on and it blew all the gears in his face. Brand new out of the box.

I ended up getting a Makita and it ran like a top for months.

Yep, biggest POS ever made.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Life is too short to fret over a POS tool for $100 or so.

Toss the thing and buy a Porter Cable or equivalent. Save yourself the aggravation.

Reactions: CrpntrFrk

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
BCConstruction said:
Bought this thing about 4 years ago. It has never worked right from the start with flames flying out the sides and it destroying belts after just a few seconds.
You've owned that thing about 3 years 364 days longer than I would have.

Geez. You fought a $150 tool for 4 years?

Learn the concept of cutting your losses.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I paid $200 for it from what I can remember. Its prob gone through $100 worth of belts and has sanded less than a 1/16 from a 8x4 sheet of ply. Total waste of money. Got 4-5hrs trying to fix it me self and running around getting it fixed.

Wish I knew they had discounted it as I would have called and kicked up a stink.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts