Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on using Bigfoot: http://www.bigfootsystems.com/ to support a cottage type building? Based on soil types, the bearing capacity is good. The cost is 35% other frost protected foundation types. The client is good with the appearance. There are no issues for me with having a non-enclosed space under the building.

Frost depth is 48" and I have experience auguring 36" diameter holes in these soils, and I would be using 28" diameter (Bigfoots? Bigfeet?) Bigfoot footings to give some wiggle room since it's hard to drill a 36" hole right on target.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I have used the bigfoot products since 2002,have had good results with them. I see no reason you would not have good results also.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I think we are all assuming that eng/soils is calling out for that bearing.

They work fine....I've used them on hot tub decks in 48" frost depth country.....better than building a whole pad and then a pier.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used them before too on decks, I don't see why it'd be an issue here. This will have twice the area of prescriptive bearing for the soils. No engineer or inspections for this project, out it in the sticks. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts