Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever been blocked for returns at Big Orange without receipt...

Got a gift I did not want - cordless Milwaukee ratchet - bare tool, still sealed in box. Showed them my Drivers ID *assuming store credit*. Turns out they blocked my Drivers ID based in TRE they are running.

No biggie. I give it to my wife and had her do the same return.
Same spiel. Their TRE computer rejected the return. Not sure if they matched the address or mine to her (she's never returned anything to HD).

In googleing, I found this thread....
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1158166/?start=80

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nope. I'm not the type that returns everything just short of the kitchen sink. Hell, I've seen people return a Windex bottle with only about 20% remaining in it.

I'm guilty of buying a return of various 1/4 lags of various lengths where I was walking to a job and I did not know what I would be working with, but nothing ever more than $20 tops. In reading the linked thread, I think it somehow has to do with the *store credit* issue .

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Nope. I'm not the type that returns everything just short of the kitchen sink. Hell, I've seen people return a Windex bottle with only about 20% remaining in it.

I'm guilty of buying a maybe returning various 1/4 lags of various lengths where I was walking to a job and I did not know what I would be working with, but nothing ever more than $20 tops. In reading the linked thread, I think it somehow has to do with the *store credit* issue .
I wasn't say you, l mean they most likely implemented a new policy because of those who abuse the return policy.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
First I do not work there.

Second if you register for pro rewards they will bend over backwards to help you.

Third they threatened me a couple of years ago that they were limiting the number of times you could return items for store credit. Not a problem anymore as they will take unlimited returns from me with no questions asked.

I have had a real problem with the local Lowes stores when they refused to accept a return from one store when I purchased it at another lowes. That took me some time with the real store manager to straighten out. By the way, there are real managers at Lowes but you have to talk to several designated managers to get to the real one.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I don't have issues returning there, usually they swipe my card and do receipt lookup, if it's not on the card (or it's been too long) they swipe my DL and give me store credit. Never been an issue, if they ever reject me the store manager will need to be the one to explain it to me... from there it could be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I love and hate their return policy.

I never have to worry if I buy a few too many items since I can take them back. But I take them back in original packaging.

I have been stuck (always in a hurry) with things that come out of the box clearly used and abused and sometimes even with paint on them.

ALWAYS check the boxes at HD for original seals of some sort and NEVER buy anything from HD that has a box that has been opened.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I dont know how some of the returned crap even makes it back on the shelves in the condition it is

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I dont know how some of the returned crap even makes it back on the shelves in the condition it is
Before I started being particular about inspecting packaging there, I found some very amazing used things put back into boxes and they put them right back on the shelf.

It's not really the company, but their minimum wage or affirmative action workers who don't give a crap but the worst offenders are the customers who get away with returning a 30 year old dimmer switch for example, in the box that contained their brand new one.

Disgusting.:censored:

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Yup,
Used harborfreight step bits returned in greenlee packging, old cans, 20 year old mixer valves, etc...

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,223 Posts
ALWAYS check the boxes at HD for original seals of some sort and NEVER buy anything from HD that has a box that has been opened.
Learned that lesson many times over at Kmart back when they were big. But I still wind up learning it again every so often when I'm in a hurry. :sad:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
rselectric1 said:
I love and hate their return policy. I never have to worry if I buy a few too many items since I can take them back. But I take them back in original packaging. I have been stuck (always in a hurry) with things that come out of the box clearly used and abused and sometimes even with paint on them. ALWAYS check the boxes at HD for original seals of some sort and NEVER buy anything from HD that has a box that has been opened.
Truer words have never been spoken.

My uncle recently purchased a Bosch circular saw at his local HD. He said the box looked a little beat up and the cashier had the common sense to ask him if he at least wanted to check and make sure everything was copacetic. He did, looked fine after a quick glance, and paid.

He got home, tried to put on a blade, the damn bolt that holds on the blade was missing.

Just two days ago, I bought a 10-pack of wedge anchors, just grabbed the first box I touched, paid, left. Got to my job, 10 nuts, 10 washers... 5 anchors.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
the worst offenders are the customers who get away with returning a 30 year old dimmer switch for example, in the box that contained their brand new one.
I forgot the exact terminology for that but there is a principle that many retailers use to keep a customer. They've already calculated that a certain number of people are going to occasionally abuse the system. But that also translates into a number of customers that they will keep for life.

When I worked at a big box toy store, there were instances where people brought back bicycles that look as if they were dragged through the sewer and the wheels were literally falling off. But they were some of the same customers that easily spent over $1000 in Christmas toys every year. Even if the customer had a bad attitude where they came in mumbling "They better give me my money back" it was very rare that they left the store. They invariably took their refund and spent it in the store again.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I forgot the exact terminology for that but there is a principle that many retailers use to keep a customer. They've already calculated that a certain number of people are going to occasionally abuse the system. But that also translates into a number of customers that they will keep for life.

When I worked at a big box toy store, there were instances where people brought back bicycles that look as if they were dragged through the sewer and the wheels were literally falling off. But they were some of the same customers that easily spent over $1000 in Christmas toys every year. Even if the customer had a bad attitude where they came in mumbling "They better give me my money back" it was very rare that they left the store. They invariably took their refund and spent it in the store again.
It's unfortunate that businesses have to mold their policies knowing that people are going to be flakes. But they're prevalent. We do $100K kitchens for housewives that are scared of every appliance except the refrigerator and the microwave and have no clue how to use the other ones. Just so long as the neighbors are impressed.

·
GC/carpenter
43,949 Posts
I got a shower door that was someone's old used door with phucking mildew on it. If was disgusting to say the least!

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
I refuse to buy at the big box stores. My suppliers have been too good to me over the years. Even if it cost more, I still use the local suppliers. I hate to walk thru the big stores. I just call my local guys on the way there and when I get there the items are ready, the ticket is printed out and I just sign and go.
Just personal preference.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I suck at getting around to returning the extra's I buy. Luckily my wife doesn't mind standing in the return line. Never an issue. She hand's em our card or receipt & they scan it in & credit our account.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts