Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
The big ones, like that one in Ark. was a challenge and I knew it would look great.

In other words I fell in love with it. Big Mistake !!!! I will Never do that again. It was by no means the Wallet's fault .

One good thing I included a shade room with a circle of red art glass installed in two corners . When I got home I sold that building 6 times, this more than paid for what I lost so my creative art input was not all for nothing.

J.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The big ones, like that one in Ark. was a challenge and I knew it would look great.

In other words I fell in love with it. Big Mistake !!!! I will Never do that again. It was by no means the Wallet's fault .

One good thing I included a shade room with a circle of red art glass installed in two corners . When I got home I sold that building 6 times, this more than paid for what I lost so my creative art input was not all for nothing.

J.
Pics?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't know, I just tell them to compare quality of workmanship, I let the customer decide from there...
The guys I use on the 'better' jobs have a finish carpentry mentality and awareness when they construct the framing.

It's all in the details..which is time consuming.

Tailors...same thing.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I'd rather do 4 - 15K decks than 1-60K deck any day, moneywise. The big ones only pan out moneywise about half the time, the other half you're gasping for air.

I wouldn't call 600 sq. ft. big, but a 130 -150K I sure would.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Agreed, love hiring guys who come from the finish/interior carpentry world - those 45s sure do look purdy then
The joinery.
That's what breaks them apart.
Some appreciate it and actually long for it, and some just don't give a sht.

I have one guy who loved finished work...crown, etc...and it took a while to get him geared to rough framing. After that, he's golden.

Some guys love a router, some love digging, some just wanna run a nailgun like a gatling gun...:)

One thing with the rough framing guys is getting them to throw pretty fastener patterns on anything that will be exposed/appearance.

·
GC/carpenter
40,513 Posts
I'd rather do 4 - 15K decks than 1-60K deck any day, moneywise. The big ones only pan out moneywise about half the time, the other half you're gasping for air.

I dunno Deckman, moving to 4 jobs with 4 times the paperwork, 4 times the permit, plans and engineering I'm going to have to disagree.

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry if I didn't convey what this customer wants. A deck. 600sq ft. hardwood. No kitchen, no awning, arbor, fire pit, tiki hut, coolers upsell blah blah.

A deck.

Its a trip working with these people and their money. 25 year olds who make $400,000 a year. Have no clue what to buy. Some have never owned a car and BOOM, they sell their app or god knows what, and are flush. Ive built condo building, come back to see homeowners do full guts on a brand new space because they want what they want, no big deal.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts

I'm with you, I'm switching gears and pushing more for the 10k-25k projects and not so much the 50k+. We just wrapped up a 10k project and they were EAGER to give me the final payment, bugging me for a final invoice trying to get me paid before the 4th of July holiday. Whereas the 50k+ are always like "Well, that 1 single $3 post cap that got dented, I know you said you ordered another one but I think I'll hang onto this $5,000 till that $3 part comes in".

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
On my team I am the finish carpenter guy so I was trying like hell to find a framer type who could actually keep things MOVING along. Didn't go well. Finding a framer in spring is damn near impossible.

·
GC/carpenter
40,513 Posts
Is tough to find anyone you can trust to leave by themselves and get things right. I have one lead that's capable of that. I don't know what I'd do if I lost him. He doesn't come cheap. I pay him 35 bucks an hour and one hour a day driving time.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
The smaller ones , 7 .. 9 thousand , do make more proportionally than 30..40 thousand do, for Me anyway. I just can't bid them high enough to make much money for the time involved the material is just fine. I have a line on South American lumber no one could get close to ordering truck loads in.

Money depends on where you live a well. Clearing two thousand a week in LA would not mean as much as it does here in Cow Town OK. A Man still gets a lot for his money over here.

Getting a Crew together is an Art Form all to itself . We go from 8 to 4 and I pay for an hour lunch. This gives the Boys time to take care of a little business like drug court, getting the car back that broke down, paying over due child support , getting a new I phone ( my lowest paid man has got to have one of those , of course , ) and it makes for bragging rights because no one does that but me.

We are on a Major deck repair now that originally cost over $ 150,000 and is only a couple years old. It makes my heart proud to see the crew I trained for three years pick out the mistakes /blunders the General made. Three years ago they didn't even know how to read a tape.

John , www.deckmastersllc.com

·
GC/carpenter
40,513 Posts
The smaller ones , 7 .. 9 thousand , do make more proportionally than 30..40 thousand do, for Me anyway. I just can't bid them high enough to make much money for the time involved the material is just fine. I have a line on South American lumber no one could get close to ordering truck loads in.

Money depends on where you live a well. Clearing two thousand a week in LA would not mean as much as it does here in Cow Town OK. A Man still gets a lot for his money over here.

Getting a Crew together is an Art Form all to itself . We go from 8 to 4 and I pay for an hour lunch. This gives the Boys time to take care of a little business like drug court, getting the car back that broke down, paying over due child support , getting a new I phone ( my lowest paid man has got to have one of those , of course , ) and it makes for bragging rights because no one does that but me.

We are on a Major deck repair now that originally cost over $ 150,000 and is only a couple years old. It makes my heart proud to see the crew I trained for three years pick out the mistakes /blunders the General made. Three years ago they didn't even know how to read a tape.

John , www.deckmastersllc.com
The average Californian survives just fine on 60,000 a year. Oklahoma it's 56000 not a lot of difference

·
Registered
269 Posts
big decks

Yea Mike I've got a lead man I pay the same. But $300. a day is nothing compared to what he does. He keeps everything and everybody in shape like marching soldiers. Everybody likes and respects him and beleive me its his way or the highway. Fired my best cut man of 3 years for talking chit. Hurt but he runs the show. Hes now working my 2nd best and pushing him hard to be as good. Been with me 8 years and if he ever skies I'll fold. Cant let him know that though.

·
Super Moderator
25,776 Posts
The average Californian survives just fine on 60,000 a year. Oklahoma it's 56000 not a lot of difference
Survive is the key word.

Ive got a buddy who was stationed in California for a total of about 10 years, he said a dude who makes 45k a year here is a lot better off than a dude who makes 75k in California. One of the clients i am working for right now was the commander of the San Diego Naval Hospital in the eightys and lived in many places in California. He just told me 60k is poverty level for everywhere he lived and that was years ago.

·
GC/carpenter
40,513 Posts
Survive is the key word.

Ive got a buddy who was stationed in California for a total of about 10 years, he said a dude who makes 45k a year here is a lot better off than a dude who makes 75k in California. One of the clients i am working for right now was the commander of the San Diego Naval Hospital in the eightys and lived in many places in California. He just told me 60k is poverty level for everywhere he lived and that was years ago.
Food isn't more, gas is about 20 cents more. Your home is the only thing that's substantially more. But I can sell my home right now and by multiple homes in another state. I'd rather have my home at 750,000 bucks than twice the home in Texas for 300,000 bucks. You move into rural Cali and the dirt is A LOT cheaper. I've lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida.

Another thing is my homes valued at 750,000 bucks I pay 3000 bucks a year in property tax. How much in other states would a 750,000 dollar home cost a year in property taxes?

If I wanted to live in your state I would move there, or any other state for that matter. There's a reason I don't. My quality of life would go down substantially. The weather is one of them. I know, Texas was the most miserable place I've ever lived in. If 60,000 per year was poor here than more then half would be poor here. That's just not the case.

·
GC/carpenter
40,513 Posts
I'm willing to pay big money to build decks all year round in nice weather. That pays much more than the 25% more cost of living that's claimed by the economists.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts