Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
How did this get past the inspectors?
On large jobs inspections are a joke, most are not even done. I know one where the light switch is less than 1' from the tub, no gfi, no shower door.
50 out of 200 units have same thing
Here for the most part if an architect or engineer spec's something the building dept will not over rule it. The architect or engineer assumes liability

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
On large jobs inspections are a joke, most are not even done.
Worth quoting. ;)

However subs can take a hit as I know of one company that went under due to no one looking at the work they were doing (and their illegals not knowing how to do it right) and wasn't tested until after the most of the finish work was done. Watta was everywhere..........

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
So who were the subs that actually did the crappy work?

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Wow, out here it's a way different story - or at least in my limited experience. The few big jobs that I've been on it's a big deal when the inspector arrives, place is cleaned up, radio's shut off etc.

Everything gets inspected, and sometimes the inspector is a real P**** although on one job the GC called the city and the inspector had to eat his hat. The GC doe's multi-million dollar homes, and he was really pissed that the plans took 8 months to get the building plans approved by the city's engineers, just to have an inspector reject some of the things that the engineers approved.

We have one inspector here in my community who has a "short man syndrome" attitude. He demanded that we get an engineering spec on our deck. Uh.... we did that already!!! before the freakin deck was built!!!! and approved by HIS department. Deck was built according to the rules. geez

I went to his boss about that one, and then it got passed. They suddenly "found" the engineers report. ya......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts