Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my money where my mouth was, and changed over to duel fuel, with a condensing furnace (Crawl space). The equipment is alright, and all, but I really appreciate the dual fuel.

This time of the year, and throughout mid November, the heat pump will be sufficient. Its actually more comfortable with the lower supply temps. The gas heat is good. Especially when it gets cold, but when changing out an a/c, it's a good idea to suggest going duel fuel.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I put my money where my mouth was, and changed over to duel fuel, with a condensing furnace (Crawl space). The equipment is alright, and all, but I really appreciate the dual fuel.

This time of the year, and throughout mid November, the heat pump will be sufficient. Its actually more comfortable with the lower supply temps. The gas heat is good. Especially when it gets cold, but when changing out an a/c, it's a good idea to suggest going duel fuel.
You saying you got an air-air heatpump instead of a plain jane ac unit?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
They are excellent so long as it's not too cold. With the current low price of natural gas there is no benefit for myself. Now if I was on hydro or oil I'd buy one at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Been doing dual fuels systems for years. Most people save a good amount with them. Just remember not to use set back like you might have with just a gas furnace.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Been doing dual fuels systems for years. Most people save a good amount with them. Just remember not to use set back like you might have with just a gas furnace.
Yeah make sure the thermostat is set properly, I screwed that up once and cost a client an extra 150 on his hydro bill.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, just saying it's a worthwhile upgrade. At least around here, 14 S.E.E.R. h.p is about the same price as the 16 S.E.E.R. a/c. Money is better spent with 14 H.P.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are excellent so long as it's not too cold. With the current low price of natural gas there is no benefit for myself. Now if I was on hydro or oil I'd buy one at the drop of a hat.
Did a little math for our rates (.08 kwh/winter rate, .99/therm) It came to about .26 (heat pump) to .40 condensing furnace.

In regards to your neck of the woods, I am sure it would come handy from late May to Mid/early November. They do have their limitations. But again, I think, as a whole, heat pump is the way to go, over cooling only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts