Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I keep flipping through all the Festool pages and the drills are really the only thing I don't think I would be in to. I have sold a couple things and have saved up some coin. I am thinking in a couple weeks I will be the proud owner of a Kapex and CT26. Then track saw, then Domino, then Rotex, then...........

Not much point to this thread other than I cannot contain my excitement. I'll need a bigger truck then, or maybe a trailer, then ....when does this stop?

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
The drills are well worth owning. Besides my Hole Hawg, the 90° head on my T-15 is the strongest right angle drill I own. That includes 3 corded 3/8" corded from other manufactures. The CSX becomes an extension of your arm. After the Bosch 10.8's I never thought I'd ever use a compact again, the CSX is in a league of its own.

Get one on the 30 day return, you won't return it.

Tom

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The only drill of theirs I have is the CXS, I have been VERY impressed with it in every way. We had some pretty cold weather last week and I was impressed again with the battery life, it's unbelievable! If I was needing another larger cordless I would definitely think seriously about Festool.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I cant see the value in the Kapex...for the money you can get the track saw and the rotex. JMO
There are a couple things on the Kapex that I see value in.

#1. Dust collection. I am done with dust. Basically this is the reason I am getting into Festool. All the other brands function very well for me, the dust collection just isn't the same.

#2. Upfront bevel controls and rails. I will be able to set the back of the saw up against a wall with the rails still functional. Also a peeve of mine is reaching behind a saw to adjust the bevel. Call me lazy or whatever but IMO behind the saw bevel adjust is a poor design.

#3. Product support. Double edge sword with this one but if anything does happen, it is my understanding that service is second to none.

All the other stuff is just extra to me. If it works, fine. The weight, dual lasers, angle finder, all things I don't really care about but it will be fun to tinker around with.

I do feel the saw might be a bit over priced but I am looking for a whole system and going what all have said here it sounds like Festool is it. The Kapex is just part of the system. I actually don't like the handle vertical. I prefer horizontal. To be honest the Axial Glide would be my first choice if it was not so heavy and dust collection is not as good.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
I enjoy the fastcap mitersaw hood...its great and keeps the saw dry on wet days if Im outside. I could see the value in "the system" too, enjoy your new saw! My only wish would be if mine weighed a lot less.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
There are a couple things on the Kapex that I see value in.

#1. Dust collection. I am done with dust. Basically this is the reason I am getting into Festool. All the other brands function very well for me, the dust collection just isn't the same.

#2. Upfront bevel controls and rails. I will be able to set the back of the saw up against a wall with the rails still functional. Also a peeve of mine is reaching behind a saw to adjust the bevel. Call me lazy or whatever but IMO behind the saw bevel adjust is a poor design.

#3. Product support. Double edge sword with this one but if anything does happen, it is my understanding that service is second to none.

All the other stuff is just extra to me. If it works, fine. The weight, dual lasers, angle finder, all things I don't really care about but it will be fun to tinker around with.

I do feel the saw might be a bit over priced but I am looking for a whole system and going what all have said here it sounds like Festool is it. The Kapex is just part of the system. I actually don't like the handle vertical. I prefer horizontal. To be honest the Axial Glide would be my first choice if it was not so heavy and dust collection is not as good.
The kapex was one of their few tools I thought I definitely wouldn't buy because of the price. I had 2 scms already. After I used it I couldn't imagine not having it now.

When I set up on a job they're usually rather big deck jobs and my tools stay there for sometimes months, so weight didn't seem like a big issue. Now I couldn't imagine lugging my 60#ers in/out of the storage area daily. Its a massive difference.

Dust collection is not as flawless as it is on some of the other tools but far exceeds any other saw. The angle finder is fantastic to have and well thought out. The nicest feature is the bevel, easy to move/read and perfect accuracy with no deflection during the cut. Second to the bevel is the dual laser, it took me a while to appreciate the beauty of this until I was doing some custom stuff and odd miters came up and that saved me about a days worth of fine tuning cuts in the end.

All-in-all the kapex is my favorite second only to the domino but the domino is something I knew I wanted.

I always thought festool was overpriced fancy tools with no real world justification, now the only thing I haven't been sold on is the drills. If you are a craftsman it is impossible not to marvel at their comprehension of carpentry and the needs of the end user. Its a tough pill to swallow but if you have a high standard the prices are worth it, okay a bit overpriced but they have put themselves at the top and can now do that.

Be careful once you start, the addiction can't be cured, it can only be treated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts