Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Mark
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are some preliminary drawings for a dock job we were asked to do. The customer has provided most of the design info, see first picture.

Any input appreciated, we used to build simple docks and things have really gotten complicated. Need some aesthetic and architectural criticism and/or suggestions.

I have a 1200 square foot limitation and a 40k budget.

The cupola's will match, I know I need more poles etc etc. I am just working on preliminary drawings to show them. After some input I will get into the finer details.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
That budgets going to be cutting a bit fine with it being that complex. Around here they charge about 20k for just a basic double dock with standard pitched roof. If you want a deck area instead on roof then it's even more.

They charge around 800-1000 a pole for pileing for timber poles around here and from looking at your plans your gonna need a good 35-40 of them. Band/Header boards are about $1500-$2000 a single dock so your looking at around $6000-$7000 for just them let alone the expensive of the boats lifts and PWC lifts or floats.

Looks like a very nice dock though if they are willing to spend some more money to get it like your plan.

·
Mark
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I am being naive but simple math has me at $33/sf. They have the jet-ski and boat lifts so they are not part of this 40k.

The only complicated build is the octagon gazebo, we have never built one. Otherwise it is a pretty simply build. He is willing to sacrifice fancy decking material and use pressure treated.

We get $150 per pole plus the cost of the piling for setting a pole with our pile driver and it takes roughly 30 minutes to set one including fetching it and placing it under the hammer.

He is not quite sure if he likes the gable roof coming out of both sides of the main roof, even though it was his idea.

Any ideas how I can tie the two roof together without it looking like a series of roof systems?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Maybe I am being naive but simple math has me at $33/sf. They have the jet-ski and boat lifts so they are not part of this 40k.

The only complicated build is the octagon gazebo, we have never built one. Otherwise it is a pretty simply build. He is willing to sacrifice fancy decking material and use pressure treated.

We get $150 per pole plus the cost of the piling for setting a pole with our pile driver and it takes roughly 30 minutes to set one including fetching it and placing it under the hammer.

He is not quite sure if he likes the gable roof coming out of both sides of the main roof, even though it was his idea.

Any ideas how I can tie the two roof together without it looking like a series of roof systems?
If your driving the poles your self then thats a massive saving. Could be done for that price then. Make sure ya post some pics when it's complette.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
I hope you're not showing them those renderings on a 40k job, i'd turn you down on a heart beat: but then again I graduated with an architectural degree so my standards for renderings are higher: especially on decent size job.

·
Mark
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you're not showing them those renderings on a 40k job, i'd turn you down on a heart beat: but then again I graduated with an architectural degree so my standards for renderings are higher: especially on decent size job.
The customer is very happy with the drawings. Around here you are lucky to get a pencil and ruler sketch.

How about suggesting some changes to the design? Is it the design itself or the way I am presenting it that you feel brings out my shortcomings? Admittedly we can build better than design so feel free to make suggestions.

Casey

·
Garage and Storage Plus
38 Posts
Huh? Is 40K a lot of money these days? There's maybe 8,000 dollars of profit in that job if things go well--for that amount of profit, I am more than willing to let the customer use his or her imagination.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
The customer is very happy with the drawings. Around here you are lucky to get a pencil and ruler sketch.

How about suggesting some changes to the design? Is it the design itself or the way I am presenting it that you feel brings out my shortcomings? Admittedly we can build better than design so feel free to make suggestions.

Casey
The design is kinda of "sims like" there is no dept to the materials, you need to learn the hidden command of sketch up, the door is not proportional to the man (unless your clients are hobbits then you need to scale down the guy) etc I could go on and on. I am not trying to be mean, just trying to help you be more professional if you're going to try to do this renderings. If you want me to help pm me, or email me at [email protected]

yo mama must be real proud
My birth mother??? or my wife??. :laughing:

Huh? Is 40K a lot of money these days? There's maybe 8,000 dollars of profit in that job if things go well--for that amount of profit, I am more than willing to let the customer use his or her imagination.

Yes 40k is alot of money, I don't have that in my checking account. :laughing: These days in my area you're lucky to get 15k jobs unless you're building new houses.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
All the dock plans i see around here are like his first picture and customers have no problems with them so his other renderings are a vast improvement to what you see around here. No point in getting too carried away as it is just a boat dock also.

Yes that may be true but it's a competitive market now, if this guy can show his clients top notch drawings and do great work then he is going to gain more customers: what a great way to set himself away from others.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
The design is kinda of "sims like" there is no dept to the materials, you need to learn the hidden command of sketch up, the door is not proportional to the man (unless your clients are hobbits then you need to scale down the guy) etc I could go on and on. I am not trying to be mean, just trying to help you be more professional if you're going to try to do this renderings. If you want me to help pm me, or email me at [email protected]

My birth mother??? or my wife??. :laughing:

Yes 40k is alot of money, I don't have that in my checking account. :laughing: These days in my area you're lucky to get 15k jobs unless you're building new houses.

Is that bit in red a joke or are you serious?:blink:

Just in case you are the door is on a gable end. It wont allow for a full height door and i guess it's maybe just a storage area. Looks just about the right size to me. Also i can tell you now that his drawings are way better than what anyone else will prob submit so he should be fine. Like OP says most will just submit a quick pencil drawing.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
Is that bit in red a joke or are you serious?:blink:

Just in case you are the door is on a gable end. It wont allow for a full height door and i guess it's maybe just a storage area. Looks just about the right size to me. Also i can tell you now that his drawings are way better than what anyone else will prob submit so he should be fine. Like OP says most will just submit a quick pencil drawing.
It was a joke, I should of put :insertsarcasmhere: :whistling
Also, should and being certain is to different things, this guy can do a few little things and make him look a lot more professional.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you need some serious help with that one...start with a basic framing sketch, then elaborate on it and evolve the interior to the customers needs:clap: where are you located?

·
Mark
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some dimensions on this job. Good or bad the gazebo had to go. We went way over our 1200 allowable square feet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just a couple things I would consider. Since all the specs aren't given, these things may be non-issues. If it were my house, I would do something a little different with the square deck. Maybe add a small 12" bump on the water side of it, with 45 degree return angles. You could also clip the two end corners and 45 them as well. Every designer/Architect I've met hates square objects. Something needs to be done where the deck meets the roof. You don't want the HO or HO's kids to be able to access the roof that easily from the deck. Go with the largest spiral stairs their budget and taste allows, since this is their only access. Spiral stairs are a real pain in the arse to carry things up and down, so the bigger the better. One other thing, is this a tidal water body? If so, make sure there is clearance for the boat at high tide plus a few extra feet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts