Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install double bifold doors with the bottom anchors sitting on concrete slab. What method do you recommend for fastening the anchors? Anyone?

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Sometimes two screws into a stud, and a dab of silicone works too if you don't want to drill tile or something. If it's a bare slab, you may want to use the blocks to be sure the doors will clear finished floor covering. ( high pyle carpet)

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Yeah, I've glued (PL construction adhesive) hardwood blocks to finished floor before, where I didn't want to drill into porcelain tiles.
In concrete I use Tapcons.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I've skipped the screw in the foor too, but usually on a single door.
Drill into the floor and use a plastic anchor.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For the floor drill a hole just over the screw size put a piece of weed wacker string in the hole then drive the screw. Works well. Used this trick when forming concrete for years

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I just did a whole house with the bedrooms carpet on slab..

Before the carpet layer came, I glued pieces of 5/8 ply under where the pivots would be.

He ran the pad up to the edges of the blocks, then carpet over the whole thing, and the screwable plate disappears:thumbsup:

I do it on regular subfloor also, so they don't try to sink down into the pad when you anchor the pivots...

Reactions: EMINNYS

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had some junk concrete to work with that kept chipping ( not my pour) drill oversized hole tap in wood dowel rod tight, flush with top of concrete screw it to that.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If it's on carpet, glue down a 3/4" wood block. If on concrete hard floor, screw to wall, & glue small block just a little wider (1/8-1/4 ea side) bigger than the pivot guide. Then glue inside & short screws. Screws will work loose, glue don't.

·
Registered
544 Posts
D.E.P.S. said:
I need to install double bifold doors with the bottom anchors sitting on concrete slab. What method do you recommend for fastening the anchors? Anyone?
Mushroom head anchors, typically called zamac pins

·
Registered
21 Posts
Plywood/MDF/K3 block with Pl or premium 400 to the concrete is the way to go and once the door is in line when they close just put and drop in the bottom track to stop lateral movement. Save fooling around with drill & anchoring into concrete specially if there is in-floor radiant heating in the slab. :eek:

http://shiptonconstruction.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts