Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just moved from denver, colorado to the poconos, pa. i started my bus. there and the pricing as well style of construction is way diffrent. can someone please give me some good advise.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
All I can say is start from square one. A 2x6 in the Poconos is the same as a 2x6 in Denver. To get an idea of construction methods used in the area go to the building department and get their residential regulations as well as going around to look at new construction.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get asked that very same question a lot at my fastener and tool business by contractors that have just moved into the area and by new start-up builders and handymen.

Obviously I need to get new customers and have to keep my steady long time regulars happy in order to survive; so what I sometimes do is carefully play "matchmaker" so to speak. I introduce the new fellow to one of the older well established and confident builders who; a) isn't concerned or paranoid that the "new guy" will steal business, and b) who is also willing to give friendly advice, a few quick pointers or who will sit down and give solid advice over a nice long lunch. Some of my "matches" have resulted in good friendships and business referals; even a partnership or two.

If I were you, I'd hit the lumber yards and supply houses and let them know you're new in town and are looking for a little guidance. The success of their business depends on people just like you, so I'm sure they'll steer you towards someone who will be very happy to help.

Hope this helps & Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts