Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on bidding the stair process of carpeting? I can bid the rest ok but have mastered the stairs yet and would like to sub that out. Looking for a solid formula. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Any advice on bidding the stair process of carpeting? I can bid the rest ok but have mastered the stairs yet and would like to sub that out. Looking for a solid formula. Thanks
Labor + Materials + Overhead + Profit + PITA = Cost

man hours x $$/hour= Labor cost.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Griz

That a pretty good formula. Do you know on average (I use that word lightly) it takes to carpet a stairway. I feel dumb even asking this compared to my knowledge of other work. Flat flooring is no prop. I'm just never around for the stairs. I've done tons of runners but am blank withe actual carpeting. I know the process of installation tack strips, stapling the pading and the time involved after that it a blank.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Straight run, how wide?

Tapered?

Spiral?

L shaped?

U shaped/Landing?

Tread wrap only?

Getting to understand the potential variables?????:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That a pretty good formula. Do you know on average (I use that word lightly) it takes to carpet a stairway. I feel dumb even asking this compared to my knowledge of other work. Flat flooring is no prop. I'm just never around for the stairs. I've done tons of runners but am blank withe actual carpeting. I know the process of installation tack strips, stapling the pading and the time involved after that it a blank.
to many different variables to throw out a price.....

turn and tuck, full covered, pie shape steps. pattern match, hand cuts and stitching,,,,,

Griz gave you the best answer you will get

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. After watching a few vids I was able to gauge the timing of the actual carpeting. Thanks for the info.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Stairs are one of the most widely varied (and under bid) jobs in floor covering. They can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours a piece. Unless it's a straight run boxed set of typical residential steps, the guy doing the job needs to see it ahead of time and bid it to you. I see carpet guys get shafted into $15 steps all the time just because they took the rest of the job...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I've always been a firm believer inlooking at the work first. All the info has been a great help. Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I've always been a firm believer in looking at the work first. All the info has been a great help. Thank you

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
I love doing stairs. My favorite part of the job. Birdcages, double spindles, pie steps, wrapped, turned, stair rods, spirals, floating spirals, etc.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I love doing stairs. My favorite part of the job. Birdcages, double spindles, pie steps, wrapped, turned, stair rods, spirals, floating spirals, etc.
If they are bid right so do I.

·
spazman
Flooring
779 Posts
If they are just a straight set of boxed steps and all that the customer wants is for them to be water falled I don't charge any extra, just square footage of the carpet used. I have had guys tell me I'm stupid for not charging extra. I would always come back at them with you don't get extra for putting carpet in a cramped chopped up closet or bathroom and I can do a straight set of steps just as quick and not have to hug a toilet. When it comes to spiral steps or pie steps or upholstery work then that's where my labor prices go up.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
If they are just a straight set of boxed steps and all that the customer wants is for them to be water falled I don't charge any extra, just square footage of the carpet used. I have had guys tell me I'm stupid for not charging extra. I would always come back at them with you don't get extra for putting carpet in a cramped chopped up closet or bathroom and I can do a straight set of steps just as quick and not have to hug a toilet. When it comes to spiral steps or pie steps or upholstery work then that's where my labor prices go up.
Same here. I have never charged extra for warerfalled box steps. They only take a few minutes to do.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What the effing eff? This looks like some sort of self esteem issue.

If you take your van in for an oil change, does some sad sack come out after and tell you he wiped down your dash and waxed the outside real quick because it only took a few minutes?

What the Got Dam Frig, people?

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
Whatever. I can do a set of waterfall steps as fast as I could install the same amount of carpet flat. Usually less than 30 minutes.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Whatever. I can do a set of waterfall steps as fast as I could install the same amount of carpet flat. Usually less than 30 minutes.
So the only thing that determines value of a service is the time it takes compared to something else? No accounting for expertise, experience, tool acquisition or upkeep, or consumables cost? Not to mention if there's a market for said skill set? You guys keep giving away your craft on a race to the bottom. There was a time when hand skilled men were looked up to in this country and they were respected as craftsmen. By giving your services away (can the homeowner do a set if steps in the same amount of time as flat work? If not you're providing a service.) you're feeding the trend of our skills having little value. Just food for thought.

P.s. if you can't sell the value of charging extra for steps to your customers - you're an employee not a business man.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I do get extra for installing in cut up time consuming locations. Why wouldn't I? If you're married to square foot pricing you'll be an old used up retailers whore in short order in this business. Even that thought process of what you "get" to do something is backwards. You're basing what you charge for your services off of someone else's biased opinion of what you're worth.... You're the only one that can free yourself ;)

Reactions: 66 Shelby

·
spazman
Flooring
779 Posts
I do get extra for installing in cut up time consuming locations. Why wouldn't I? If you're married to square foot pricing you'll be an old used up retailers whore in short order in this business. Even that thought process of what you "get" to do something is backwards. You're basing what you charge for your services off of someone else's biased opinion of what you're worth.... You're the only one that can free yourself ;)
Maybe you and coffer have a point. I have always tried to keep my pricing simple and also high enough to make a good living. I'm not tied to any retailer and don't want to be and as far as I know I'm one of the highest priced if not the highest priced guy in town. I do good work and I'm always busy.
Like I said in my previous post I have always seen putting carpet on straight boxed steps as easier than installing it in a bathroom. If you can get away with charging more for that bathroom or chopped up closet then I say good for you. But let me ask you do you charge extra if you have to install tack strip? Do you have different rates for installing over wood and concrete? There are a lot of things that we could think of to try and charge extra for but you also need to know what your market will pay

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
I'm also in Missouri. Things are different here than other places. I have the highest yardage rates in the area and all my work is reference only. I don't work for builders or retailers.
I also charge a little more for concrete than wood. I don't charge extra for putting down tackstrip. Around here, that's part of the job.
I consider stairs the easiest part of the job. If I was going to charge extra, it would be for putting down pad. I hate that more than anything, it's boring. I work by myself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts