Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard several people say they bid a basemnet job of have had their basement bid done by the square foot. These jobs are to finish out the basement. My question to you, is ho do you bid a basement ond/or any job by the square foot, and what is the process. Thanks ahead of time. :eek:

U

·
0 Posts
We don't bid any whole projects by the foot. As each project is different, especially in the remodel world. We do use unit costs to estimate several of the trades though.

Some trades and even simple or limited scope projects can be bid on a per foot basis once you have done enough to indentify the your exact costs and understand the elements that may increase the scope or cost for the project.

Right now, I can tell someone over the phone what it cost to tear down and rebuild a custom home based upon square footage, but always add that it depends on the complexity of the project, such as structural design, finishes, and product selections.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
About the only items that can be figured to have true square foot costs would be a floor, roof, or slab. I say "true" to mean that there is a defineable amount of material per square foot. Even roofing is questionable because it has wall flashing, valley flashing, etc that doesn't cover the whole roof but the shingles could be a square foot cost with additions for the other accessories that make the roof actually function as a roof.
As unregistered mentioned - a base square foot cost can be given but will change with every project. Think of a home and a single square foot column running through the whole house vertically. In that square foot there are a lot of items - but move that square foot to a different location in the hose and it all changes. To bid by the square foot - you take all the materials, labor, overhead, profit etc to complete the job and divide it by the square footage. Therefore, that cost will be different for every project done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts