Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! We are trying to spread the word about our services and a buddy of mine mentioned bidclerk.com. I talked to servicemagic back in March and the rep has called me twice a week since then!! Can anyone give me some feedback on which way to go? Should I stay away from both? :shutup:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bid-clerk is ok if your looking for commercial work or new construction work. It seems to depend on the area your in as to how useful it is for remodels. It's a flat fee so it may be worth trying it for a month to see if you can get anything from it.

Service Magic is a head ache at best. If your interested in handyman work and/or you don't mind spending lots of time on the phone trying to get credit for bogus leads go ahead. They charge you by the lead and assign value to the lead based on the potential job size. You set the budget amount in dollars that dictates the amount leads you can get based on the type of lead. You also can pick the type of leads you want i.e. kitchen remodel, carpentry, handyman, painting, and so on. The leads are not pre-screened as they claim them to be. Supposedly they only give them to three contractors to compete over. I couldn't tell you one way or the other if this is true. Many here claim that to not be the case.

Your probably better off going the traditional routes of advertising i.e. phone book adds, newspaper adds, website, fliers, post cards, door hangers, vehicle graphics, signs, radio adds (if in your budget), and so on. Unlike lead services these get your name out in the geographical area you are in and potential customers get familiar with your adds and company name. You can also send letters to design companies, cabinet outlets, builders, etc. introducing yourself, include a business card and or magnet with the letter.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'll just say I am a former member of each service. Key word on former. I can't say much because this is an open forum and I don't want to be sued for voicing my disgust. ;)

You can search this forum and find me posting 3-4 years ago advocating lead services but they have mostly devolved into chit.

You might be able to get a free trial on bid clerk, they used to have that option for like a week or something.

·
Pro,self employed28 years
13 Posts
I tried service magic for a several months. For me, It ended up being very expensive and non productive. I did get one lead that is still a good customer today, but as I said, it was too costly for me to justify the expense per lead.

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts