Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom's furnace is on its last legs, so I got a bid to replace it.
The guy wants to change out the AC coil at the same time, even though it's only 6 or 8 years old. Here's what he said:

"New Modulating Furnace, 95% eff, AND new AC coil, because the new coil is compatible with the newer (green) coolant gas -
so that whenever the old AC unit (outside) dies, you only have to replace the outside unit, and not tear-out/change the AC coil inside also."

$4700.00

Is this logical or recommended?
Is it really so hard to change out the AC coil at a later time?
Why would he be pushing to do it all at once?
What do you guys think about the price? Seems a little steep to me.
Lastly, is a two stage furnace worth the extra $?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Dairylander, welcome to CT, go to the intro page and introduce yourself to the guys, and tell us a little bit about your business, also complete the profile, thanks GMOD

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would seem the end result in that would be r22 (your current refrigerant) going through a coil meant for r410a. So when you installed a new condenser, the coil would have to be properly flushed to not damage the equipment. I think there would be less overall hassle, as well possibility of problems, doing the coil and condenser all at once.

Also, what are the features of the furnace? (just curious) Does the bid already include a two stage furnace? You mentioned modulating, is it a modulating gas valve, or a variable speed blower?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, what are the features of the furnace? (just curious) Does the bid already include a two stage furnace? You mentioned modulating, is it a modulating gas valve, or a variable speed blower?
I don't know much else about the unit except that it's a Coleman. The bid does include the two stage and would cost $800 less with a single stage. I'm not sure about the modulation. Are variable speed blowers problematic?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dairylander, welcome to CT, go to the intro page and introduce yourself to the guys, and tell us a little bit about your business, also complete the profile, thanks GMOD
All right, no problem.
Hello, my name is Dairylander and I'm an alcoho... wait, nevermind.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I don't know much else about the unit except that it's a Coleman. The bid does include the two stage and would cost $ less with a single stage. I'm not sure about the modulation. Are variable speed blowers problematic?
VS blowers are not problematic. When installed properly.
The Coleman mod comes in both a VS version, and a PSC blower version.

As far as changing out your A/C coil at the same time as the furnace.

The A/C coil is NOT a part of the furnace. And it is to be matched to the outdoor unit. Unless you already know what outdoor unit you will get 5 or 6 years down the road. It make no sense to change it now and still use the current outdoor unit, If it is not leaking.

It may make sense to change out the outdoor unit along with the furnace now. If you get a unit with a high enough efficiency to qualify for the up to $1500 tax credit. Ask him for prices on units that meet the requirements. And then decide.

·
Dr Heat
516 Posts
First your old R22 unit will contaminate the new coil making it necessary to clean or better change the New coil if installing a 410 A

Second to install the coil the tech will need to extra work.

Third because the Company bidding this Job should Know this I would not trust them at all.

Fourth 4,700 is High for a furnace even a High End Colman is not high end.

Just my opinion

Reactions: Dairylander
1 - 20 of 20 Posts