Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, some background information my dad passed away, he had a framing company. I decided to keep the company going. I have a limited knowledge of framing, but I’m quickly learning. I’m curious about how people estimate their bids, for apartment complexes and if you guys use net area or gross area. Or if you guys use a different technique for calculating bids.

·
Registered
GC
586 Posts
Okay, some background information my dad passed away, he had a framing company. I decided to keep the company going. I have a limited knowledge of framing, but I’m quickly learning. I’m curious about how people estimate their bids, for apartment complexes and if you guys use net area or gross area. Or if you guys use a different technique for calculating bids.
I'm going to go ahead and be the a$$hole here and tell you that that paragraph explains exactly why you shouldn't be trying to keep your dads business going on your own.
Hire an estimator, hire a very good lead carpenter, learn from both of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that’s the plan, but I’m trying to learn as much as possible also. He has a method for calculating bids that I’m very familiar with, but I wanted to see if there’s other ways.

·
Registered
GC
586 Posts
The best way is to figure out the material cost and how many man hours it will take to do the job. Then you add employee taxes, insurance, and any other overhead you have. That gets you to your hard cost. Then add whatever profit you want to make.
You can get away with square foot pricing as long you're experienced enough and have enough historical data to make it work. The problem with any method of estimating right now is that you can't know what your material cost will be when you actually start the job. Your contract has to have clause to cover price increases. If it doesn't, you're going to go broke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts