Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably gonna make some of you mad but here goes anyways. I am not a full time roofer. I take on some small jobs on occasion though. I recently went to bid a small house (18sq including 5% waste). Pretty much a 15'x48' rectangle roof line on front and back 5\12 pitch. There are 2layers of 3tab & 1 layer of cedar shingles. I know it will have to be re decked with 1/2 O.S.B. Need a little help bidding the other 2layers. Customer wants a 20yr shingle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all who help.. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
38 Posts
3 layers

Robert's Repair said:
Probably gonna make some of you mad but here goes anyways. I am not a full time roofer. I take on some small jobs on occasion though. I recently went to bid a small house (18sq including 5% waste). Pretty much a 15'x48' rectangle roof line on front and back 5\12 pitch. There are 2layers of 3tab & 1 layer of cedar shingles. I know it will have to be re decked with 1/2 O.S.B. Need a little help bidding the other 2layers. Customer wants a 20yr shingle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all who help.. :Thumbs:
what area are you in and do they even sell a 20 yr shingle anymore ?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Home depot sells 20 year shingles. I wouldn't install them on a house if you paid me. I'd never slap my good name on shoddy materials like that. I'd also never dream of installing a 3rd layer. It takes alot of convincing to get me to install 2 layers of shingles... and when I do it's always an archtiectural shingle because there WILL be bumps and imperfections and the architecturals hide those imperfections much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts