Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been with my new employer who does a decent amount of commercial painting and obviously, as a result, when we paint he expects whites to be worn. I received 6 pairs of whites, but damn, do the Dickies from SW suck! If you need to retrieve anything from the front pocket, forget about it! It's like the front pocket design was designed for skinny jeans! :censored:

And this isn't just me. I asked other guys and they have the same issue. What are some better options for whites other then this?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Pittsburgh Paints have decent pants, there used to be Stan Ray and Centurion painters pants, but I haven't seen them in a few years. CarHart makes painters pants but they don't make them in white, maybe check their website.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
What's the reason for wearing whites? Is it demonstrate that one can paint without getting it all over themselves, or something like that?

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
What's the reason for wearing whites? Is it demonstrate that one can paint without getting it all over themselves, or something like that?
I've always wondered that as well. Is it similar to how carpenters usually wear tan carhartts?

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
I get asked that about 12 times a year. Only thing I've heard is in the days when a "white wash" was the only choice of color then it wouldn't show up on white pants or shirts. Don't know for sure but it's a guess. I wear Dickies from SW and have no trouble with the front pockets.

·
GC/carpenter
43,902 Posts
maxwage said:
I've been with my new employer who does a decent amount of commercial painting and obviously, as a result, when we paint he expects whites to be worn. I received 6 pairs of whites, but damn, do the Dickies from SW suck! If you need to retrieve anything from the front pocket, forget about it! It's like the front pocket design was designed for skinny jeans! :censored: And this isn't just me. I asked other guys and they have the same issue. What are some better options for whites other then this?
Back away from the buffet table

·
Painting & Remodeling
816 Posts
I've been with my new employer who does a decent amount of commercial painting and obviously, as a result, when we paint he expects whites to be worn. I received 6 pairs of whites, but damn, do the Dickies from SW suck! If you need to retrieve anything from the front pocket, forget about it! It's like the front pocket design was designed for skinny jeans! :censored:

And this isn't just me. I asked other guys and they have the same issue. What are some better options for whites other then this?
Armed apparel is what I have been wearing for the last couple of years. Something happened with their production but things should be getting back to normal soon. No whites in stock at the moment, but I paint in these.
http://amzn.com/B002CZPXUS

Also want to try these..
http://amzn.com/B009TVZN2Q

·
Registered
818 Posts
Funny I was just about to ask that

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Whites or off white colors are the most used in painting. That's why they're either white or light beige. I prefer the light beige painter pants.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
488 Posts
To be truthful I have gotten several jobs over the years from wearing whites. People come up and say do you have a card I need some paint done.
I used to wear the carhart white pants they were great reinforced knees and really they took a beating. Problem was they were expensive and really hard to find. If you think the Dickies are bad go to SW and get some of the new ones they carry Contractor brand. Flimsy, side pockets to shallow, shrinks a lot.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What I don't get is I have several pairs of the brown Dickies carpenter pants and they're fine. No Carharts, but the pockets aren't skinny jean-esque.

·
Registered
37 Posts
painters wear white because typically primer, ceiling and trim paint is white and you dont notice white on white. also lots of wall colors are off whites which dont show up very well either.drywall mud is typically white also. also white is cooler temp. wise. it also represents you as a painter on big jobs like the traditional white hard hat is a supervisor/foreman on the job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts