Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have started my own remodel company, while still working full time for another guy. He knows I started my own thing and we had planned on parting ways in September. Well this morning he wanted to have a meeting and he fired me said I'd do better looking for work in the summer. I have one good sized kitchen lined up for September, but now I gotta get it cracking for August. A little frightened, but confident I can land on my feet.

·
Registered
667 Posts
So I have started my own remodel company, while still working full time for another guy. He knows I started my own thing and we had planned on parting ways in September. Well this morning he wanted to have a meeting and he fired me said I'd do better looking for work in the summer. I have one good sized kitchen lined up for September, but now I gotta get it cracking for August. A little frightened, but confident I can land on my feet.
Did he do for your favor, or his?
Summer time there is lots more work, but sounds like he thought about it and said FU!
Did he state a valid reason to fire you? Verbal or in writing?
Did ya think about a unemployment claim here??

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,937 Posts
Rather abrupt, but he's right. It's a lot easier to line up work at this time of year than in the fall. Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
I am in the same boat. I planned on saving up more money first, but couldn't work with my boss anymore and I was the one that bowed out. Printed up a bunch of flyers today and hand delivered them in a decent neighbourhood. Time to hit the pavement!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heavy_d said:
I am in the same boat. I planned on saving up more money first, but couldn't work with my boss anymore and I was the one that bowed out. Printed up a bunch of flyers today and hand delivered them in a decent neighbourhood. Time to hit the pavement!
I wish you all the best! I snagged a job installing Prefinish hardwood from a friend should carry me through for a week or so. Feeling good about that but Definetly hitting the pavement. Been calling every contractor I've ever worked with.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave in Pa said:
Did he do for your favor, or his? Summer time there is lots more work, but sounds like he thought about it and said FU! Did he state a valid reason to fire you? Verbal or in writing? Did ya think about a unemployment claim here??
Not sure why he did said it was to benefit the both of us. I think he's butt hurt I'm leaving, ( been with him 7 years). He's the salesman type not much of a tradesman. Straight up told me he want to use me as a sub when I'm needed. But also he has two remodels I was running for him. I have been his foreman running three other guys, pretty sure the whole thing will fall apart without me. Maybe he got a new guy I don't know. Asgar as unemployment, no thanks I pay my own way.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i started out part time behind my bosses back.....thought id be going full time for myself in 2-3 months...9 months later i was still part time while working full time...got caught and fired.....best thing that could have happened...now i had FULL TIME to work on my own business......i had $60k saved or a rainy day in case i had to dip into it.....never had to touch $1 of it.....

go out and make some sales...work 10 hours a day on sales

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mako1 said:
pretty sure the whole thing will fall apart without me" Seen lots of guys say this including several that have worked for me.Don't give it another thought.There is always somebody waiting to take your place and you are not as great as you think you are. Wish you luck.
I'm not saying his crew will fall apart I guess what ii was trying to say is why cut ties halfway through jobs? I have built trust with the HO and walked them through the process. Why not have me finish it out then part ways?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
RiverBG said:
I'm not saying his crew will fall apart I guess what ii was trying to say is why cut ties halfway through jobs? I have built trust with the HO and walked them through the process. Why not have me finish it out then part ways?
Because he is smarter than you and decided to dictate your departure on his terms. He held all the cards. People aren't nice when they don't need you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah ok you're on your own. Keep your head. You apparently ain't as needed as you thought or he'd have fought to keep ya.

Having said that congrats, you've been proactive and are ahead of the typical guy. Sub a while, not for the previous employer if you can help it, and grow a customer base. Do what you got to do and grow. Or be one of the ones that fall on their face. Your choice mostly by making good decisions but you'll need luck as well. Heres to it!:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
RiverBG:

I remember long ago having no work and a looming mortgage payment. I went through my Rolodex calling every past customer. They were all grateful for the "check-up" phone call, but one was really glad I called. She had a bedroom remodel that had to be done immediately.

The job saved my butt, but more importantly, it showed me I can stand on my own two feet. Except for selling my business and having the marketplace vindicate my efforts, I don't know what I've tasted that was sweeter, business wise.

Pound the Rolodex or pavement. When you hit, it will be the best ever, I promise.

Oh, and by the way, had my top guy quit when I sold my business, I would have been seriously screwed out of many thousands of dollars in value. Sure, everyone's replaceable, but some at much more cost than others.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
you are not the be all to end all, you are replaceable, and you will be.
That may sound harsh, but it's the absolute truth. Going out on your own you need to understand, and be prepared for, that everyone is replaceable. Say you have a guy that's your right-hand-man and he quits or you have to fire him. What do you do? What's your plan 'B'? That's how EMPLOYERS must think. It's a lot different from being an EMPLOYEE. You can't let your business sink because of ONE guy. ONE guy should never be that important, except the business owner (you). Food for thought. Running a business, big or small, is just that - A business. And don't hire friends or family :no:. They'll want twice the money for doing half the work :laughing:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts