Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone! I am looking for a few people to test a new protractor we have developed. This is a digital protractor made especially for installing crown molding but works for all types of trim. It actually measures both the wall angle and spring angle at the same time and displays the miter and bevel settings for your chop saw. It is hard to explain in words but does not rely on entering any information into the protractor, just hold it to the wall and your settings are displayed.

I need a few people who are going to be actively installing crown molding on a decent size project sometime in the near future. I will send you the prototype and ask you to give me some pretty straight forward honest opinions and suggestions for improvment. Of course, I will need the prototype back but will be sending you a brand
new protractor for free for all your help as soon as it is in production. If you are interested, please email me at [email protected] and tell me what project you plan to use this on. Thanks!

I have been working on this particular product for 3 years and it was designed exactly for the people in your group. I will pay for everything. Shipping the samples, return shipping, and anything else. I have 2 prototypes and I would like to pass them around to at least 5 or 6 people. If I could get 5 or 6 people to use it for one large project each I could learn so much.

One thing I can assure everyone is that I would never take anyone's email or physical address and send anything but these samples. I have never emailed anyone to advertise our products and get sales. (we are honestly just a 2 person mom and pop operation and don't have time for that stuff)

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Pass it around to 5 or 6 people?
We have a couple hammers out there doing that. Maybe it will fit in the same box.
This should only take 5 or 6 years :laughing:

I wish I was running trim. I would love to play with it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I will also be on a large job in January with lots of crown and other moldings. Brand new custom home, as said above things will most likely be way off.

·
Builder, Remodeler
33 Posts
I install kitchens in the Wash. DC area. I do at least some crown on almost every job.

Currently, I use the little yellow angle finders, which work pretty well, but would LOVE to be able to use an easier, digital version. I see the post is old, but if you are still beta testing, I would be happy to give it a try. If already tested, and the bugs worked out, I would be interested in testing one for purchase.

-TH

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks TH I will send you a PM with some information.

I want to also thank the others who have offered to test these for us. I have 2 out being tested now and have 2 others in line to teste these but we are still looking for a few more if you are interested. This is an important product for us and we will need to do a lot of testing to make sure we get it right. We will probabaly still be looking for testers into the summer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would be interested in trying one out. I do a lot of crown and have been in a rut doing a lot of coffered celings (with crown) lately. BUT, as of this second, I don't have any crown jobs booked, so it might be a little while before I would use it. If you are just trying to get them in a few hands though, my hands are open. :)

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I think something like this is a good idea, and you could probably sell a ton of them to home owners.
Most times when I install crown I cut it nested. Finding the angle is pretty easy you can figure that out in your head on the way back to the saw.

Now and then I cut crown on the flat, if it's too big to cut nested, or it's a really odd spring angle.

I use the buildcalc app on my iphone most of the time, or my construction master calculator.

One would think that some manufacturer would produce a saw with the scale set for finishers, ie: where it says "0" it should say "90" and so on down the line.

I generally just measure the corner, subtract that number from 180, then divide that result by 2 = miter saw setting.

I currently use a Festool kapex, and they have a little angle finder gadget. It works well, but it's slow. I like to be able to go around a room and measure all the (outside) corners and mark that number down on a map. Saves time!

Festool needs to produce a saw that has a vernier scale to 1/10th degree. It isn't so hard I have a small angle finder (non-electronic, you have to read the lines) that has this and it's fast. Too small for construction work however.

Using the kapex thing I can only do one corner at a time. Anything that would speed up the process would be an asset.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
been playen with it the last few days i all ready know i love it because i was trained to do crown on the flat because the hand miter saw box was all we used. this tool is so much fun to use i just might have to keep it.
it dose what you need it to :clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i did over a 1000 ft of crown with it i would say the numders it gave were 97 +right on.
the crown that i used was what i call fireplace crown 7 1/4 tall with very little fug room.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I run alot of crown. I just finished a job (1200 l.f. worth) that had alot of odd angles. I'm sure this could have saved me a few trips to my saw. Any idea as to when you will have it in production ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I run alot of crown. I just finished a job (1200 l.f. worth) that had alot of odd angles. I'm sure this could have saved me a few trips to my saw. Any idea as to when you will have it in production ?
Hi Rob; Thanks for asking. We have had this out to about 5 people so far and are still waiting for feedback from most of them. However, what we are hearing is quite promising and we think we know all the samll changes that need to be made so I hope that we can have this on the market by the end of this year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any updates ? I'm thinking about buying the updated bosch gauge. I just run to much crown on odd angles. The bosch is pricey, but if it lasts a few years it would pay for itself.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts