Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All

I'm helping with a floating dock repair job.

Dock is 30'x60', existing joist beams are 4x12's x 30'. End beams are 6x12'sx30'.
They sit on 12 bundled 12x12's on the 60' sides. no intermediate support.

We need to replace the end beams and some of the intermediate. For the ends we are considering going to steel I beams packed and topped with PT for fastening decking and ribbon/fender boards.

I'm looking for suggestions for wood species for the joists/beams. The joists do not sit in the water but are obviously exposed to it. The supplier I have talked to already has a 26' limit on PT, so that may be out.

I am looking for durability over appearance.

Thanks
Andrew

Just a littlle bit of wear and tear

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...at-goes-up-in-flames-at-yacht-club-in-quincy/

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i have worked on docks but am not an expert, and I do own a boat.
First off I would never consider steel, unless it was fresh water. The mantainence would be too important .
Out here on the west coast, cedar or pt would be the material of choice, concrete and composites are a common product as well as aluminuum.
Aluminuum will leave black marks on boats and fenders though.
Hope this helps.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Whatever you use is going to weather poorly. Find a milk in NH or Maine and get some oak sawn. You need to go above a lumber yard for what you need. I'd bet you could get anything pressure treated if you dug deep enough. I've seen 12x12 over 30' in length with special marine pressure treating. You might try contacting a company that does pile driving and piers. They might be able to give you some leads

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

Fir is what is commonly available here at for a 6x12, x30,
Cedar was a thought although not sure if it would be considered too soft. $ would also be up there.

Steel was not my first thought for corrosion issues, salt water, but we can have it galvanized.

This is for frame only, all surface material will be 2x PT

Ipe,
I'm with BDR on that. Jdeck have you come across beams that size, all we see of it is decking or maybe 2x and 4x4's.

We also still want it to float when were done.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Morning wood,
yes agree this is beyond my local yards normal material, I will be talking to more suppliers.

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts