Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bathroom is in dire need of a remodel. The house was built in the 70's and it's the only room I haven't touched yet.

I want to replace the one piece shower and tub with a brand new one piece unit....but I think some framing is going to have to come out to make it happen.

I don't like the look of the two piece units or 3 piece surrounds, and my wife won't let me tile it for some reason (I might still tile it when she's not looking)

Is there some sort of trick to replacing the whole unit, or do I just tear out the whole wall the plumbing is in and start fresh from the ground up?

Maybe if I take out the door and one stud I could get it to work, but I'll have to measure it.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Open up an exterior wall of the house, maybe? You always wanted new siding.

Imagine two refrigerator boxes glued together, and you have to get that into the bathroom.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Open up an exterior wall of the house, maybe? You always wanted new siding.

Imagine two refrigerator boxes glued together, and you have to get that into the bathroom.
I considered that too, but I figured that wall was doing something important, like holding the roof up.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,094 Posts
Hard to say without seeing it, but at the least you'll need to remove a good bit of drywall. The enclosure is normally installed before drywall, tight against the studs.

You might be able to warp the plumbing out of the way if you can get at it from the other side of the wall and unfasten it.

I vote for full demo and tile. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
I need to redo a bathroom of ours, and I'm considering no tile. Maybe an epoxy finish or some kind of solid surfaces.

I once did a walk-in shower in corian sheets and it was pretty cool. (Come to think of it, I wonder how it held up over time... :whistling: )

It's your house. Push the envelope. Add some whimsy.

·
Contractor
4,643 Posts
you'll likely need 32" wide doors and an open hall to get a one piece in. how wide is your bathroom door?

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
We are going to go with vintage metal roofing.

Wife doesn't want tile, or a fiberglass stall.

I was ready to order a decent but middling shower stall. Quick, done in a day, add a double set of fixtures,, drywalled in a couple months. :grin:

Nope.

So, I'm going to pull some old ag panels we have in the bushes. Clear coat them and put them on the walls.

Who said whimsy?

You can't out whimsy a closet hillbilly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very difficult to get a 1 piece unit through the house and into the bathroom in most houses, thats why they make the 2 or 3 piece.
One advantage is that just behind the wall with the plumbing is an exterior door. I think I can pull that door right off the frame if I knock that wall out and bring it straight in.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you'll likely need 32" wide doors and an open hall to get a one piece in. how wide is your bathroom door?
I think I can pull it off, heres the layout, extremely not to scale.

The hallway is offset a bit from the door because of the closets, but I think I can come straight in, then back it right into the shower spot and reframe the faucet wall around it.

I'm still not sure what her hangup about tile is, something about having to clean the grout. I told her I would just use grey epoxy grout....but she won't budge.

·
General Contractor
7,898 Posts
I think I can pull it off, heres the layout, extremely not to scale.

The hallway is offset a bit from the door because of the closets, but I think I can come straight in, then back it right into the shower spot and reframe the faucet wall around it.

I'm still not sure what her hangup about tile is, something about having to clean the grout. I told her I would just use grey epoxy grout....but she won't budge.

How deep is the bathroom, how long and wide the tub is, how high is the overall tub dimension, will you have room to get inside after you push the tub into the bathroom so you can fit it into the opening?
Measurements are crucial when it comes to a one-piece tub unit, this why in most cases the walls come separately and are fit-it onsite.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How deep is the bathroom, how long and wide the tub is, how high is the overall tub dimension, will you have room to get inside after you push the tub into the bathroom so you can fit it into the opening?
Measurements are crucial when it comes to a one-piece tub unit, this why in most cases the walls come separately and are fit-it onsite.
Good luck
I just measured everything up, if I remove the toilet it should slide right in once it's through the back door. Even if I leave the toilet on it will be fine, but will be in the way of the person on that end. The tightest part is going to be going from the door into the hallway, with the wall and bathroom door removed that part should be pretty straightforward. Height is a non issue.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I need to redo a bathroom of ours, and I'm considering no tile. Maybe an epoxy finish or some kind of solid surfaces.

I once did a walk-in shower in corian sheets and it was pretty cool. (Come to think of it, I wonder how it held up over time... :whistling: )

It's your house. Push the envelope. Add some whimsy.
I read that last sentence as "add some whiskey". Maybe because that's how most of my home projects go.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Contractor
4,643 Posts
removing the wall the faucet is on should enable you to slide it in. hope the plumbing isn't coming up from the slab/floor? .

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
removing the wall the faucet is on should enable you to slide it in. hope the plumbing isn't coming up from the slab/floor? .
Full basement, I can just cut the plumbing and cap it, then I'll probably just switch those lines to Pex afterwards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts