Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Best way to repair stipple?

30K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  KennMacMoragh 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys I'm unsure if this is the correct area but i have a 2ft x 2ft patch I'm trying to repair and the ceiling has the stipple treatment done to it but I'm unsure the best way to repair this. I'm seeing ways from mixing paint with wall filler, Watering down mud, buying stipple in a can repair kits, Using a roller to get the affect, Using bubble wrap to get the affect, using a sponge to get the affect. What do you guys do? I'm sure theirs a simple way to do this. i just don't wanna spend all day trying to figure out whats best. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
You'll never get it to look right with a roller. Thin your mud down to a roughly 4 parts mud 1 part water ratio. Get a 6 or 8 inch stipple brush and go to town. Dont twist brush on the ceiling, just stomp it. Work your way out from the center of the patch and feather into the edges keeping in mind it will shrink a ton when it dries.

#3 ·
We need to know what you mean by stipple??? see there are like 100's of things people call stiple,,, what we need to know, is it sprayed popcorn, is it stomp(rolled on and hit with a stomp brush, like crows foot) is it brushed(does it look like a roll of dmes layed over or 1/2 a vinyl record?? :blink:

#4 ·
First off I am going to say it "Takes Lots Of Practice"

We subbed new home warranty work a few years ago.
We did repairs in 100's of new homes, including lots of ceiling repairs.

Like mentioned above don't forget it will shrink up, soo what looks heavy during application, will usually shrink down to what you want.
If too light it will not look right at all when it dries.

After it dries a damp rag can help smooth, blend, and feather the transistion.

As far as mixing, well thats not easy. You have to try and determine what is there, does it look thinned? Or does it look like straight mud?

As far as thinning with paint or water it isn't going to matter, because the patch will stick out no matter what, and the whole ceiling will have to be painted to totally hide the repair.

We got lucky on a few occasions on not repainting the whole ceiling, but I would never plan on it.

I think you'll find the rag trick useful, Hope it helps. James

#6 ·
If it isw a rolled stalagtite kind of stiple try this
Put a coat of mud on the area
cover with a piece of plastic ( trash bag whatever)
pull the trash bag off to create the stipple.
You will have to vary the amount of mud on the ceiling to get the texture to match but it works well. I have done it and you could not tell where the patch was after it dried.
too much texture= too much mud
too little texture = not enough mud
You will have to play a little but it works
Hint pull the plastic quickly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.