Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best way to remove some tile in a store entranceway? They are applied to a concrete slab and need to be replaced with new flat black tiles. Any help would be appreciated.
I know the hand chisel and hammer method.

I would show a pic but I need 15 posts before I can do that.

Richard

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I use one of 3 methods. Smash the tile to hell with a large demo hammer then take them up or use a jack hammer with a tile removal bit and pry each tile up. You may have to use a scabbler if the tile is stubborn and it's a large area. They also make a pneumatic tile remover.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
$29 air impact with a wide chisel bit hooked up to a good sized air compressor.

Electric $300 rotary hammer drill with a wide chisel bit.

Both will do the job, the first one will take you 2x as long as the 2nd one.

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
I don't want to surprise you with this, but there is a tile removing tool sold in Lowes (maybe HD)-long handle with a thick flat blade on it for scraping. Works wonders w/ VCT-not sure how it would do w/ a ceramic tile. it being a commercial setting, I'm guessing it's VCT.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ive always used sweat and blood with tears and elbow grease... perfect concoction.... for large areas tho? maybe call for a blood transfusion about evry hour or so.... and drink plenty of water. Never had the need to do large areas, thank god.... look at my method... i'd be dead. the electric deal sounds promising.... can u rent one of those? I think i would. Good luck

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
$29 air impact with a wide chisel bit hooked up to a good sized air compressor.

Electric $300 rotary hammer drill with a wide chisel bit.

Both will do the job, the first one will take you 2x as long as the 2nd one.
Mike's way is cleanest with less bs. I used to use a grinder and diamond wheel when dust wasn't an issue. BUT BOY HOWDIE did dust fly.

Use the spade chisels he suggested on the grout as close to the tiles to be removed and pound on the tile with a dead blow hammer.

MAKE SURE you go threw the thinset to the concrete or you will be replacing more tile. NOT that I would know!:whistling

Oh BTW I've been to the Hooters in Willmington if that's the "store" you're doing it at I can fly up 95 and be there to start first thing in the Morn. and show you what I mean!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Mike finley has got the tried and true meathod

:thumbup: A Rental store will also have a floor grinder(ordinary buffer with carborundum stones) to remove old firmset.

Worth the rental if the area is large enough. MIKE

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
You can rent an air powered "pogo stick" from most rental places for the really hard to remove ones. Makes a big mess and you will need a gas compressor, but it works well usually. We, like others have tried all the methods. Depends on the situation. Couple of times we had tile over a mesh/mortar bed and had to cut out 2x2 sections and used a roofers shingle lifter to pry them up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, y'all

I am impressed with all the response I received. Good info.:thumbup:

I am going with the rotary hammer drill and wide chisel bit. I think it will take care of my needs the best.

Richard

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
How do you like that Bosch extractor with thier concrete grinder?
I like it....especially for the price. I bought the grinder new but found the vacuum used. I still quarantine off the area I'm working in but there's A LOT less dust.
I have been doing quite a few jobs the past 2 years when I have to pull old tile off concrete. I can do a 5'x8' area from original tile to ready for new tile in a few hours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
:notworthy getting to give good advice to a real handyman, you are a God to me. I would take a bucket of muratic acid and pour in the area where you want your tiles removed, be sure to surround area with those acid resistant rags. Pretty soon your tiles will just lift up, now get some gorilla glue and spread on floor and just lay in your new tile. I use this method all the time, anyone can do it, that why we are called professionals.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:notworthy getting to give good advice to a real handyman, you are a God to me. I would take a bucket of muratic acid and pour in the area where you want your tiles removed, be sure to surround area with those acid resistant rags. Pretty soon your tiles will just lift up, now get some gorilla glue and spread on floor and just lay in your new tile. I use this method all the time, anyone can do it, that why we are called professionals.
Wow, I am really impressed.

You should contact HD and see if you can get into there updated "How To Do It" construction manual. I bet they would also be impressed.

Actually, the name of my company is #1 Handyman Service.
I prefer to do two or three little jobs a day rather than one big job that lasts a week or more. Filling up a week with small jobs can be more lucrative than one job and it is real easy to leave it at work and not bring it home. I have no official employees or all the paperwork involved with them. To solve the problem of working alone I do have some people to call on when I need the help. Generally though, it is just me.

·
Banned
356 Posts
I don't have a big hammer drill, Good ole cold chisel and small sledge work for me, If the tiles are too stubborn I get out my little air hammer and a chesel blade(s).

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Wow, I am really impressed.

You should contact HD and see if you can get into there updated "How To Do It" construction manual. I bet they would also be impressed.

Actually, the name of my company is #1 Handyman Service.
I prefer to do two or three little jobs a day rather than one big job that lasts a week or more. Filling up a week with small jobs can be more lucrative than one job and it is real easy to leave it at work and not bring it home. I have no official employees or all the paperwork involved with them. To solve the problem of working alone I do have some people to call on when I need the help. Generally though, it is just me.
Just "unofficial" ones that you give 80.00 to at the end of the day and then drop them back off in front of HD?:laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts