Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a old motion sensor light fixture to replace on a job I'm on now. I pulled it to see how it was mounted and to no surprise it was mounted directly to the soffit with no electrical box.:mad: I have done these before and always had some issues with trying to properly mount a box in the soffit. It is aluminum soffit on top of old plywood, so at least I have something solid underneath. I want to use a plastic 4" round old work box with the swing out clamps , https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...ork/Carlon/B618R-UPC/product.aspx?zpid=186438, but the screws arent long for the wings to get all the way behind the plywood. Not sure what the thickness of the plywood is (its either 1/2" or 3/4") and the total thickness of the aluminum soffit and underlying plywood is probably close to 1 1/2". The screws on the old work boxes simply arent long enough to go this far in. Has anyone ever replaced these screws with longer ones to get better reach out the wings? I would prefer using one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Dot-...Electrical-Box-S215E-R/202202170#.UtqSFdIo5kg but unfortunately there isnt enough wire coming out the soffit to use a surface mount box like this. I am also thinking about maybe using a 1/2" deep pancake box and mounting it directly to the original plywood soffit. This would end up almost flush with the aluminum soffit. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
pry back the fascia,put the claw of your hamer under the flange where the nails holding the soffit is,pull it loose and slide it out

do what you need as far as blocking or look for a wire staple that you can pull for more slack

reverse procedure,collect check

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,053 Posts
Retrofit ceiling fan box.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,293 Posts
With longer screws, the "wings" won't hit the stops that keep them from spinning as you tighten the screw. You might be able to get away with using toggle bolts.

To be code-legal, that wire should be replaced/extended so there's enough of a tail that you wouldn't have to jerry-rig a solution like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts