Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best way to install 3/4" Insulated glass & 1/2" stained glass in one opening

Ok, This is a strange request. I have an opening on a 6" stud wall that is getting both a 3/4" low e piece of glass and a 1/2" piece of stained glass in it. The purpose of the low e is to help the r value of the window. Not sure which piece should go on the inside of the house and which should go on the outside and the best way to space them out. What would be the best way to install this to prevent condensation? This is in Arkansas which can be very humid and hot. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I'm not a glass installer but I would put the low e on the outside giving the stained glass protection. Then I would only separate it 3/4" to 7/8" the farther away I would think the more it would obscure the view of the stained glass.

Maybe you can have a shop incase the 2 in an aluminum or vinyl airtight frame.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about the airtight frame as well however there is not enough room in the opening for it I believe.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Have a glass shop triple pane the window, 2 pieces of glass on the outside, stained glass in the middle, with super spacer. Then you can set the glass in any type of frame you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts