Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That doesn't rely on the post office to handle anything?

Folks have a recommendation, PayPal, wire transfer, other?

This is my first private long distance sale, and while I have good confidence in folk here I'm wondering the best way to protect both parties if they are a complete unknown?

·
Registered
12,901 Posts
I mailed a check to a member on another forum, when it cleared he shipped my items. Sometimes you need to have faith. Is the purchaser a long time member here?

Since then I have set up PayPal, saves a little time, cost a percentage of the transaction if you use a credit card or it cost the seller. Depends on how you make the payment.

I sent a few items to someone (was not a member here), never got paid, wasn't much but.........

Tom

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mailed a check to a member on another forum, when it cleared he shipped my items. Sometimes you need to have faith. Is the purchaser a long time member here?

Since then I have set up PayPal, saves a little time, cost a percentage of the transaction if you use a credit card or it cost the seller. Depends on how you make the payment.

I sent a few items to someone (was not a member here), never got paid, wasn't much but.........

Tom
BlieRidgeGreen is interested in my CMS and router. He's been around a while and I feel good about this, but other stuff will go to strangers, so i thought best to figure out the safest fastest way now and work out my system with a safe transaction before I have to deal with some CL unknown.

·
Registered
12,901 Posts
I don't know if I'd trust THAT :eek:guy. Make him pick it up and bring you cash.:laughing::clap:

Make sure you figure out the shipping cost on the CMS and who is covering it.

No matter what, the seller normally has their funds before shipping. PayPay does protect the buyer to a point.

Watch the CL transactions, make it a public place, preferable the lobby of a police station.

Tom

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Nonsense......
I'm good for it!:whistling

Just ship it to my vacation home:
Al. B. Boltinwitit
86 Subterfuge Ln.
Misanthrope, VA 12345

I'm so phucking excited!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

I'll send it by Pony Express if necessary.

I trust you ......you're a farmer now aren't you? When you were still a Contractor........not so much....those guys are shifty.

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if I'd trust THAT :eek:guy. Make him pick it up and bring you cash.:laughing::clap:

Make sure you figure out the shipping cost on the CMS and who is covering it.

No matter what, the seller normally has their funds before shipping. PayPay does protect the buyer to a point.

Watch the CL transactions, make it a public place, preferable the lobby of a police station.

Tom
:laughing::laughing:

who normally pays shipping, seller or buyer, or split?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If getting paid really matters, you don't ship it until the funds clear. All the options - check, PayPal, wire transfer, your bank's (possibly free) on-line banking funds transfer - are just a matter of speed and whether you or the customer will pay the transaction cost.

For small transactions, I've trusted complete strangers a bunch of times. Even if I've gotten burnt once or twice, I prefer to live my life that way. I've done CL transactions where I left the stuff outside the shop door and the buyer dropped an envelope with cash in the mail slot. In the city, completely anonymous. I wouldn't do that for a larger transaction, though.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
I have conducted a few transactions with fellow members. Both times I was the buyer and sent the funds prior to the item being shipped. I just wrote checks both times. Both were longtime members, although one was Darcy Warner!!

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
I have conducted a few transactions with fellow members. Both times I was the buyer and sent the funds prior to the item being shipped. I just wrote checks both times. Both were longtime members, although one was Darcy Warner!!
Hey I resemble that remark.

I buy and sell a lot of items/parts under 500 bucks. Most times I prefer a usps money order (you have to go to the post office anyways) or a cashier's check.

If I make actual contact by phone, I will usually just take a personal check.

I just bought a 30" jointer in NY and after a few conversations with the seller, he was fine with me mailing him a personal check. It will be a few weeks until I make the drive to get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts