Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the method you use to cut a rake shingle, (at a gable/fascia)..??

lay over cut later, cut as you go, razor knife, shingle shear??

talk to me,

Rob

·
Registered
67 Posts
depends if i'm hand nailing or running a gun.

hand nailing, i cut as i go because my hatchet is already in my hand. if i'm using a gun, i'll let them hang over (less than a tab) and cut when i'm done shingling.

the reason: speed, nothing more

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cut as you go with a knife is usually quickest depending on the roof. The shingle shear works great if you have a laborer and it's cold.

We usually use the sheetrock knifes with the fixed blade. They work the best and last longest.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I usually cut as I go with a hook knife. I have seen guys chalk lines and use a hook to cut. I tell them it's faster my way, they tell me it's faster to do them all at once. The end result is the same. A nice straight line with proper overhang.

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
I usually cut as I go with a hook knife. I have seen guys chalk lines and use a hook to cut. I tell them it's faster my way, they tell me it's faster to do them all at once. The end result is the same. A nice straight line with proper overhang.
I like to cut 'em as I go as well. I usually hang on to the pieces for fill in or for starting the next stagger.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I like to cut 'em as I go as well. I usually hang on to the pieces for fill in or for starting the next stagger.
Exactly it creates less waste. I find that typically those guys that cut it all at once are usually the guys a square short on every job. It's ez throwing partial shingles down as scrap when you are not paying for them, but that scrap is almsot always useful in your next courses. Thats why when ever I am told we are short on a job, when I am dropping off the extra materials I check the dumpster for scraps to see what size cut offs they are throwing away.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'll run out a course of 5-6 steps,
Take a shingle for a straight edge,flip it over,topside out,
Line it up with soldier on top and last cut shingle on the bottom
run a hook blade down it,
take a piece of scrap shingle and rub off any burrs.:thumbup:
same here, taught from the get go to do things as you go. hips, valleys, gables, clean up, etc.

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
Exactly it creates less waste. I find that typically those guys that cut it all at once are usually the guys a square short on every job. It's ez throwing partial shingles down as scrap when you are not paying for them, but that scrap is almsot always useful in your next courses. Thats why when ever I am told we are short on a job, when I am dropping off the extra materials I check the dumpster for scraps to see what size cut offs they are throwing away.
I don't like packing shingles or cleaning the ground either. I'd rather use what I've already got on the roof.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Always cut as I go with a hookblade (the ones with the thick ends) in a Richard knife, although I'm starting to like the big bulky knifes, they work good as a hammer in a pinch :laughing:.

An erroneous chalkline cut is hard to fix, and not neccesarily any quicker. The problem I have with leaving ends is it is a wind grab, plus you really are better off using those end cuts at the start of your next course. Also in the summertime, you need to cut the shingles right away, every millisecond in the sun makes them harder to cut well.

I usually use hook blades for rakes, except when installing extremely thick shingles on a cold day, then I will use scissor snips, or conversely, a very warm day when blades are more trouble than they are worth.

I have always shingled with gloves, no worries for slivers and cuts that way, rake cuts are the easiest way to lose all the skin on your knuckles.

I've never used a shear, and don't know anyone who has.

The key is to cut just inside of your starter shingle (1/16" - 1/8"). The starters make everything look wonderful from below. Overhanging arse cut rakes do not.

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
I've never used a shear, and don't know anyone who has.
We've worn a couple of blades out on one. We had several cone turrets to shingle and I bought one for that to make angled cuts. We drag it out for Grand Manors and the like, especially in winter. Sometimes we use it to cut books to start off with as well. It's not indispensable, but once I got it, it gets used more than I would have guessed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Fair enough. Every tool has it's use.

Honestly I don't get on the roof so much anymore, but if I was doing the kind of work as you described, I could see it's merit. Do you use it much for rakes?

Either the librarian is going to be pissed or I am unfamiliar with the terminology...what are books?

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
Do you use it much for rakes? ..what are books?
I don't know where the term came from, but we call the series of cut shingles to create the stagger when starting at the rake "a book". A book might consist of a full shingle, 31", 26", 21", 15", and 10" cut shingles.

When we're using a guy throwing and a two guys nailing, we pre-cut the books with the shear if there's a lot of rake.

I've used it to close rakes and it makes for a pretty edge, but it's too time consuming unless it's a really heavy shingle.

The shear is also pretty effective at cutting ridge caps from 3 tabs, which we seldom do anymore.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Amen. And the longer the rake is, the more likely it is to have some waviness to it. Cutting as you go allows you to go in and out with the rake.
Not if you use starters. :thumbsup:

I never use a hook up the rake. Always flip over and cut with a straight blade. Some say it's a waste of time. Those are the guys going back walking on hot shingles and cutting with a hook while I'm cleaning up the bags and heading home.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts