I wouldn't leave wires dangling, if the can is left in place that seems like a decent enough home for the wires. If a guy is going to sawzall into drywall without check for voltage I don't see how having it in a box is going to help him. My $17 stud finder picks up electrical juice from a good ways away. anyone doing any type of that kind of work should have one.If you're leaving live "dead ends" in the wall, you're doing 3 things:
1) leaving a run of wire in a wall, that's not hooked to anything to have the next guy "bite" with his sawzall blade.
How do you know it's not a connection? No where do I see that the OP said it was at the end of the run.But it's not a connection, and a wise man once told me "assume nothing"
Are you talking about carter style switching? That's when the polarity changes and sometimes you are switching the neutral. It allows only 2 wires to be run between multiple switches controlling a lighting outlet.tenon0774 said:It was early on, and knob and tube. After that I got a voltage detector. ...but on another occasion, it failed to detect a specific wiring technique no longer used today. ( and No, I'm not talking about a switch leg. ) So much for those dikes. Maybe I'm just drawn to the smell of Ozone.
Why? Does a plastic box somehow make it so it's not going to burst into flames, and it not being in a plastic box makes it so it will explode?avenge said:If it's against code or not only a hack would leave unboxed connections or live ends in a wall or attic.
It's pretty simple the boxes are there to protect the wiring and if something were to happen the box will attempt to contain a spark and heat. If you have a spark inside a box it won't catch anything on fire.Why? Does a plastic box somehow make it so it's not going to burst into flames, and it not being in a plastic box makes it so it will explode?