Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Or cuts the wire in the process of cutting the ceiling open.

I don't need to come up with a good reason. Trying to explain why NOT to do it is like trying to explain why water is wet.

People have different ways of doing things. That is his way. This is mine.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Mechanical breaks in a continuous run of wires should be accessible.

The way a house is wired today, they are.

I would feel uncomfortable leaving "capped" live wires behind the wall.

Somebody's got to follow me, even 20 years later.
I curse the guy that leaves capped chit behind the walls and buried junction boxes because we do thorough remodels.

If we left a junction box or live buried lines behind the wall, no big deal right?

Until the guy that goes to remodel what we have done years later without the knowledge of that buried junction box and wires "his" remodel.

( Sound familiar? )

All of a sudden, there are problems.

Guess who the customer is going to call?

"You touch it, you own it.".

For me, it's about how I would like to find it, if I opened up the walls.

Call it pride, or respect for the next guy...

...but I WILL NOT leave live lines in the wall and WILL NOT bury a junction box;

Furthermore; I will chase back lines to eliminate junction boxes that I find.

All due respect Tin,

I vehemently disagree with you on this issue.

- Scott

·
Registered
5,057 Posts

I don't need to come up with a good reason. Trying to explain why NOT to do it is like trying to explain why water is wet.

Aren't there live wires all over the place you could cut...?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

It's the feeling of liquid moving over the skin's surface.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
It's not against any code I've ever seen to leave a wire in the wall, I always put them in a box with a cover. But if I can disconnect it I do.

To spencer. You can go to the switch and disconnect it there,

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
The boxes tell you there are breaks in the wire sheathing at that point. If you're dealing with water in any way, this can be helpful to know. Heck, maybe you're even standing on the ground.

You guys are fighting a battle that's just plain stupid and increases risk. Damaging your "cred", too.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
The boxes tell you there are breaks in the wire sheathing at that point. If you're dealing with water in any way, this can be helpful to know. Heck, maybe you're even standing on the ground.

You guys are fighting a battle that's just plain stupid and increases risk. Damaging your "cred", too.
I'm just saying... a house that is wired not in conduit, aka, most of america... I have a better shot of cutting into a wire normal wire that's run and you can see the ends. That end that yall are freaking out about (I would have too till thinking more about it...) is not going to be attached to anything, and when you hit it with a saw, it's going to have less chance of being cut than any other wire if you think about it.

The argument of cutting into the wire is dumb IMO.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The fact that I am being asked to support this argument is extremely bizarre to me. To me, it's like someone is saying it's ok to be reckless and I'm saying it's not and others are saying, well why not? If I seriously have to answer the "why" to experienced tradesmen something is wrong.

This is a no brainer to me.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm just saying... a house that is wired not in conduit, aka, most of america... I have a better shot of cutting into a wire normal wire that's run and you can see the ends. That end that yall are freaking out about (I would have too till thinking more about it...) is not going to be attached to anything, and when you hit it with a saw, it's going to have less chance of being cut than any other wire if you think about it.

The argument of cutting into the wire is dumb IMO.
True...I hope my "cred" doesn't get too damaged.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Xtrememtnbiker said:
Yes.

And as a skilled home mechanic you can "extrapolate" where the lines my be in the wall, based upon receptacle location, switch location and a bit of basic logic of home wiring. That's not to say you grab the largest sawzall in the box to cut some drywall or some interior studs.

If you're leaving live "dead ends" in the wall, you're doing 3 things:

1) leaving a run of wire in a wall, that's not hooked to anything to have the next guy "bite" with his sawzall blade.

2) leaving a condition for the next contractor or electrician to "undo".

3) buried junction boxes make it very difficult for an electrician to trouble shoot a wiring problem, if there is ever a problem.

Not all of us were trained as electricians and wire nut connection to one contractor means something different to an electrical contractor, so my default is:

Don't bury junction boxes or "capped" live wires.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
The fact that I am being asked to support this argument is extremely bizarre to me. To me, it's like someone is saying it's ok to be reckless and I'm saying it's not and others are saying, well why not? If I seriously have to answer the "why" to experienced tradesmen something is wrong.

This is a no brainer to me.
If it makes you feel better, I've never left a life wire in a wall...

Oh wait... I have... it just was in a box at the other end. Never done left one in the wall capped though. I get that it seems wrong, I'm just not buying the cutting it argument.

It feels more professional not to leave it in there live, maybe we could mark them with tape that says "live wire" ... :laughing:

The biggest issue I see is someone assuming it's dead and proceeding and getting shocked. And that's your own stupid fault for not checking...

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Let me make ya'll feel a little better... I would always try to not leave a wire live and dangling... Never have before. For all the reasons tenon mentioned.

However, if it's not a code issue, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
People saying it's "ok" or acceptable isn't going to change the way I do things. But, as Extrememntnbker just said, you changed his mind just that quick. THAT'S what I'm afraid of. Others reading this thread saying, "hey, phuck it. They do it that way and they have more posts than me, it's gotta be right."

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Let me make ya'll feel a little better... I would always try to not leave a wire live and dangling... Never have before. For all the reasons tenon mentioned.

In low voltage work there are often buried junctions and no way to disconnect it at the source. Sometimes it makes sense to cap and bury a wire.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Xtrememtnbiker said:
Probably shouldn't cut a wire in the wall with nuts on it... ;)
It was early on, and knob and tube.

After that I got a voltage detector.

...but on another occasion, it failed to detect a specific wiring technique no longer used today.
( and No, I'm not talking about a switch leg. )

So much for those dikes.

Maybe I'm just drawn to the smell of Ozone.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

It's definitely against code here to leave connections not within an accessible box. I would assume it also applies to live ends.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts