Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, helped a buddy today cleanup a construction site (need bailed out). Homeowner walks out, & ask if we want to demo the very deck he is standing on.

This sumbitch was well built. 2 stories tall. 6*6 posts going god knows how deep into conctrete. 2 *12 joists the works.

I say systematicaly remove floorboard, then joists, then the monster 6 * 6 * 16 posts.

He says chainsaw the posts 3/4 way through & yank.

I cannot fathom his way being safe. Which would you choose if you did not have to worry about the house?

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
So, helped a buddy today cleanup a construction site (need bailed out). Homeowner walks out, & ask if we want to demo the very deck he is standing on.

This sumbitch was well built. 2 stories tall. 6*6 posts going god knows how deep into conctrete. 2 *12 joists the works.

I say systematicaly remove floorboard, then joists, then the monster 6 * 6 * 16 posts.

I cannot fathom his way being safe. Which would you choose if you did not have to worry about the house?
Tell him youll pay him 500 bucks to do it himself if you can record the video and post it to you tube.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Given your requirements... the fastest way... your buddies.

Edit: We bulldoze scrapes... not dismantle them....neat and clean is nice, but not when it does not matter..... Time is $..... or did I miss something in your question.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Tell him youll pay him 500 bucks to do it himself if you can record the video and post it to you tube.
I'll take you up on that. Why the F'n heck do you want to dismantel something board by board up two stories when you can bring it down in 10 minutes.... given the OPs conditions.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
And thats where the argument started.

Chopping it up neans no neat stacking, which translates to more loads to landfill. Now your losing time by makin ten trips instead of 2.
Drift..... That logic does not even merit an argument

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
And thats where the argument started.

Chopping it up neans no neat stacking, which translates to more loads to landfill. Now your losing time by makin ten trips instead of 2.
Nonsense!

Keep a sledge near the dumpster. Bash up the big pieces after they are inside the container.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Lol We have a 6 * 16 trailer with removable walls. Deck is 80' long 12' wide. I know i can make it in 2 trips.

I see it as a bunch of stop & go versus nonstop (my way)
Even if my way took an extra trip with the trailer, you would still make more money. The time spent taking it down and running the pieces to the dumpster is where the money will be made or lost.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even if my way took an extra trip with the trailer, you would still make more money. The time spent taking it down and running the pieces to the dumpster is where the money will be made or lost.
No dumpster, wide open landfill 2 miles away. Get it in the trailer ( his way requires walls). Your right loading is the tine killer.

I dunno, but I just dont see us doing it in a days time his way. Too much rubble.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Chain saw. No contest.
He11.... Handsaw... you'll still be ahead....

Or are you working hourly.... if so, pull all the nails and straiten them... it will stack neater in a dumpster or a trailer....

and keep in contact with any customer that is going to pay you to dismantel, board by board, that demo.

?????????????????????????????????????? Really

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Strategic chainsaw... Run through floor boards next to every-other joist.. Skil saw might be better for this part

Then cut joists to drop the deck in 2'-32" wide chunks and stack in the trailer. Then take down the posts in manageable sized pieces

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was making a dent on the "pile" today & figured I'd snap a few pics.

Apparently, the guy tore out the missing middle section so that it would be easier to dispose his construction debris. He stripped the house back to studs. The debris pile was as tall as the taller deck.

so far weve taken 4 trailers (6' wide x 16' long x 4' walls) & probably have 3 left. Then we will start on the deck...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Risk vs. reward. "What could go wrong if I do this the "easy" way?

I'm in for a combination of both, careful on the upper deck close to the house and stuff that can't *%##$% anything up if something goes unexpected, chain saw, back hoe, C4.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts