Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys what the best way for me to bond some porch porcelain tiles back to concrete? I have no idea where to start as I never done external tile before. Any advice on products to use? Grout recommendations would be great also. I have about 5 to repair so don't want to go silly.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Thinset.

Since you have existing grout already there, I don't see this as the time to do any other grout other than what was there.

If this was all new, I'd say to make sure this is freeze/thaw proof porcelain and use one of the new grouts that is color fast and needs no sealing.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Use a latex additive to mix the thinset. I'd use Kerabond + Keralastic. It's is rated for freeze/thaw conditions.

For grout:

Urethane: QuartzLock II

Cementitious: Laticrete 1500 with 1776 additive

Epoxy: SpectraLOCK

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Use a latex additive to mix the thinset. I'd use Kerabond + Keralastic. It's is rated for freeze/thaw conditions.

For grout:

Cementitious: Laticrete 1500 with 1776 additive

Epoxy: SpectraLOCK

Urethane: QuartzLock II

Yeah, exactly what he said.

Done several good sized porches with those products and they still look like new.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
i could've been more clear. porcelain tile sucks for exposed exterior flatwork.
That is one of the silliest things I've heard. The simple fact of what makes porcelain tile, porcelain...is exactly why it is a good choice for exterior applications. As long as the COF of the tile is correct, I would absolutely recommend it for exterior applications.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is one of the silliest things I've heard. The simple fact of what makes porcelain tile, porcelain...is exactly why it is a good choice for exterior applications. As long as the COF of the tile is correct, I would absolutely recommend it for exterior applications.

I am aware that porcelain is recognized as a suitable exterior material and its application. In my experience I have never seen flatwork where the porcelain has not popped for one reason or another.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If it is "popped" I would think that it was an install problem that deals with the material used...

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
I am aware that porcelain is recognized as a suitable exterior material and its application. In my experience I have never seen flatwork where the porcelain has not popped for one reason or another.
If it is "popped" I would think that it was an install problem that deals with the material used...
I'd say incorrect substrate prep, incorrect thinset or incorrect thinset coverage. I highly doubt that porcelain has anything to do with it.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
It's my understanding that the porcelain just has to be rated for exterior and it's fine. If not rated for exterior use does it pop off or just crack in place?
If a proper tile isn't used but the correct thinset/adhesive was, the tile should crack before the entire bond will give.

With a proper thinset (even dry-set) you can adhere 2 pieces of porcelain face to face. A good bond is a good bond.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts