Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to attach some 1/2 inch hardi board to a cement block wall of a bath tub in order to tile it. There are no furring strips and there is no room for any due to matching existing planes.

My thoughts were construction adhesive and some 1 3/4 tapcons.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me. I'd spot the TapCons with some spray primer to help against future rust problems. A 1/2 in. hole in a piece of cardboard will work as a shield.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Since they restricted Dade County pine many years ago, block has been the most popular choice with cast concrete being second. With water, termites and hurricanes being popular here, frame homes are not.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I have never read a spec for attaching hardi to a brick wall but have read plenty for attaching vinyl to brick.

I'd use tapcons to install some battons, your going to want the tapcons to be flush with the surface of the battons, so you may have to predrill and counter sink all the holes on your battons. You can then install your vinyl siding to the battons. The problem with this installation is hardi is very heavy and a 1" batton may not have the grip you need and the siding may slip off after a few years.

Then again you are talking about sheets (4x8) and I am talking about siding panels. Either way I think same principal.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Why not bed backer board in thin set with a few phillips head tapcons at corners to hold until set. This is similar to method of laying backer on floors.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Since they restricted Dade County pine many years ago, block has been the most popular choice with cast concrete being second. With water, termites and hurricanes being popular here, frame homes are not.
whats the county say about structural insulated panels?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I see at the Fastenal store that they have stainless steel Tapcons. That might be of some interest to you. I'd bet they're probably a buck a piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts