Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to scan contracts that I draw up, email to a client for approval which currently we accept by having the customer sign. I suppose the customer could print out the scan, sign it, re-scan, and email. But is there a better, easier, faster way to do this in say a pdf viewer like adobe acrobat? the scan will be a pdf file.

Thanks for any recommendations!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Hopefully you're sending them .pdf files that cannot be altered (edited)?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully you're sending them .pdf files that cannot be altered (edited)?
Well I did not think of that to be honest. I see your point, they could change some details or even the price, "sign/approve" it, then send it back and now it's a binding contract?

So what's the best way to go about doing this? I love the idea of being able to email the contract and receive an approved copy in a matter of a few minutes/hours but want to cover my rear as well.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Well I did not think of that to be honest. I see your point, they could change some details or even the price, "sign/approve" it, then send it back and now it's a binding contract?

So what's the best way to go about doing this? I love the idea of being able to email the contract and receive an approved copy in a matter of a few minutes/hours but want to cover my rear as well.
Some states digital signatures are not legal/binding

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
You might check this out.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would like to scan contracts that I draw up, email to a client for approval which currently we accept by having the customer sign. I suppose the customer could print out the scan, sign it, re-scan, and email. But is there a better, easier, faster way to do this in say a pdf viewer like adobe acrobat? the scan will be a pdf file.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Yah,

Go meet them in person. present your proposal and get a contract and a check.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah,

Go meet them in person. present your proposal and get a contract and a check.
Oh I agree, that's great for new customers. But for someone you know is going to do business with you and just wants to get the contract, look it over and sign it... I'm just trying to streamline the process as much as possible for them.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Oh I agree, that's great for new customers. But for someone you know is going to do business with you and just wants to get the contract, look it over and sign it... I'm just trying to streamline the process as much as possible for them.
I've signed up many a job with a manilla evelope with their contract in it and a SSAE in it to send back their copy and downpayment check. Not as fast, but effective.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I send my contracts in pdf format for review. In some cases I had an additional letter in there that was intent to contract. I had them sign that and fax it back to me. They could sign the contract and mail it back to me. I do this because the contract may be several pages long. I would rather save the paper and get the original anyway. For simple projects I will be willing to take a fax copy to get started but at the end of the day, make sure you get the original. You could pick that up when you show up to go to work.

Another thing to look at is what kind of software they have. I have adobe professional. I also use gotomypc.com. I was in my work area which is about 80 miles away. I needed a dumpster. They would not deliver without a signed contract. I told her to email or fax it to me. (I use myfax.com) Using my tablet, I signed the contract because I have adobe on my office computer and faxed it right back. All within five minutes. I had my dumpster first thing the next morning. The point is no matter what you have, the client may not have anything like that. Scanner, fax, etc. I had one client who just used their computer for basic stuff. Forget about sending her a contract.

·
Registered
498 Posts
One other note. I admire anyone who is with technology. I love it myself. It keeps my life simple. I have always been the one with most recent toys. But some rules I do have, if I buy a tool or similar, is it going to make me money? And two, is it going to complicate things for my clients or anyone else I need to communicate with.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I email proposals as much as possible. An email back that they accept and then I fax the permit and NOC for them to sign and notarize and send the original. The NOC and permit are binding from what I have been told. They don't pay I send of a notice to owner from both me and the supplier with there lawyers letterhead... hope it never happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Realtor uses this service www dot ctmsoftware dot com

Its really easy because he just sends it out to me via email. I click on the link and then sign it. I think you have to have flash or somthing like that installed on your computer.

Works really well. I am sure once i sign it it sends him a message saying i signed it and your done.

If it works for real estate i am sure it will work for you.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
I've sent plenty of change orders to clients with my digital sig. on pdf. I always have had them sign it when collecting the check for the c/o (BEFORE any c/o work is done.)

I use adobe 9 pro which has the "redaction" feature (blacked out boxes where the info is permanently deleted for privacy reasons).

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts