Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1492 Posts

·
DN Construction
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was building a set of temp stairs for a contractor to get his C O. In Jersey you have to build a set going from the garage to the house and out the back from the house to grade level (in this case no deck was built yet). While doing this I was flipping over my 10 galv finish nails dulling the point then driving it in to prevent splitting of the 5/4 decking on the ends. I thought how I learned this a few years back from an old school guy and it was probably one of the most important tricks of the trade I have learned. I am a youngin so don't laugh on me for learning it only a few years back. My down fall is that I opened my own bus 5 years ago so I rarely get to learn any other tricks like this, but I thought it would be a great thread on here. So, what tricks have you learned from an old schooler that you can't live without?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Back when I was just a kid my grandfather use to run his finish nails through his hair to grease them up to drive smoother through hard woods. He use to use VO5 from back in the day when greased back hair was the thing.

Who remebers the DA and I don't mean like Dual Action sander.

What did term DA refer to anybody?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Back when I was just a kid my grandfather use to run his finish nails through his hair to grease them up to drive smoother through hard woods. He use to use VO5 from back in the day when greased back hair was the thing.

Who remebers the DA and I don't mean like Dual Action sander.

What did term DA refer to anybody?
Your Grandpa wore a duck's ass.
We woulda called him a greaser.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Another trick is you can turn the nail so the chiseled end is going perpendicular to the grain instead of parallel, less likely to split then. I pre-drill holes in ends of decking though.

One trick I liked from an old timer is the doubler. Hand drive two 16d nails so that they cross eachother when driven in. It holds and sucks everything in way better than just a single nail.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
When trying to drive a nail into a hanger in a tight spot, push the nail through a piece of paper or cardboard, hold the cardboard with your fingers and pound the nail in. Saved many a finger.
I do that sometimes with a shim shingle.

One that I use nearly every day, and would not know unless someone taught me, is to draw a little "V" when marking measurements on a board instead of a little line. Much more accurate.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
when toenailing the floor ribbon to the mudsil with a gun, flush up your lumber with the outside edge then drive your cats paw into the sil flush with the ribbon then nail, this will keep the riboon from being drawn in which you would otherwise have to beat back into place

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a trim finish carpenter ome pretty useful trick I learned was if a raw piece of finish grade piece of material has an imperfection such as a hammer mark or other indention, is to rub your saliva on it. Within about a half hour the wood will swell and can be lightly sanded afterward leaving no scarring.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,422 Posts
If you have an air nail that doesn't set you can take the nails out of the gun and center the gun on top of the nail and fire again. It'll push it below the surface.

·
DN Construction
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
great so far keep lets keep em coming, I am going to try that wood and the spit tomorrow for sure

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
If you have an air nail that doesn't set you can take the nails out of the gun and center the gun on top of the nail and fire again. It'll push it below the surface.

yeah I learned that from my Micro pinner...great trick, wish I had known that sooner..:thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
When I was about 15, working with my father, we scraped a 100+ year old tin roof that had been painted several times and then coated with tar several more, with 2" putty knives in August. It was probably 4-5 hundred square feet. Took it down to bare metal, patched the rust-throughs and recoated with black roof coating.

I learned from that experience, that I never wanted to do that again.:no:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,422 Posts
Elephant prints.

1 - 20 of 1492 Posts