Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a room we are trying to match a fish scale texture on the ceiling. I tried a wallpaper brush but it was to fine. Anyone got ideas

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what it was done with. First time I have ever seen it around our area so I am very unfamiliar with this texture style...but I have to match it. Im going to try the wisk broom

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
You can try a whisk broom, use regular mud not the lightweight variety. I would practice on a piece of drywall and you'll have to mix it with water to find the right consistency.

I have this in my house only it's mixed with sand and it's perfectly symmetrical. You'll never match it perfectly, the pattern of the broom will be different.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I did one like that a few months back, I used the old "white wash" brush for painting worked close enough for me! The customer was happy, I was happy.

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
You can try a whisk broom, use regular mud not the lightweight variety. I would practice on a piece of drywall and you'll have to mix it with water to find the right consistency.

I have this in my house only it's mixed with sand and it's perfectly symmetrical. You'll never match it perfectly, the pattern of the broom will be different.
YES ...They all interlock . Very hard to match up.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I did one like that a few months back, I used the old "white wash" brush for painting worked close enough for me! The customer was happy, I was happy.
Wow this took me back a few years, "white wash" have not done that in 40 years, that big old brush we called the "wallop brush" just wallop the walls son.

·
justanotherdrywaller
9 Posts
led double strip on both sides .when I put molding up to hide the light I confined the light to follow the surface. looked like a beginner did the ceiling.i knifed a tight swirl,2 coats,corrected all imperfections.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So im working on this fish scale texture. I can match the pattern but am having trouble with the mud clumping up. Any suggestion what im doing wrong. I tried thinning it and also heavy mud. Or can I let it dry like that and get the chucks off

Wood Wood flooring Plywood Floor Pattern

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Keep a bucket of water close by ..Slosh your brush in the water then sling it clean on a piece of scrap rock or plastic every so often ..That helps .
Also ..Don't get too far ahead of yourself before you start to swirl The mud will start to dry on ya.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Jason....... I tried to respond to your message but it will not send for some reason. Here is a pic of what I use to create that same float.

Lowes sells these "medium size pours" sponges in the cleaning ailse. All I do is take a pair of scissors and nip off the leading edge of the sponge. (round it over) Just nip the long edges. As you can see in the picture......I'm not taking off much. This will prevent the sponge from plowing the material. As the sponge rides over the material the some pours will collapse and leave the same texture that you are looking for. You will light pressure to the trailing edge only. Done let the front edge touch the material. I prefer to use 45 minute hot mud for this type of repair because it comes out slick like your original pic.

You can cut the length of the sponge to copy the size of the original swirls. This sponge in the picture is not full size.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts