Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says whats the best purchase you've made? was it a great deal, new product line? list the good and bad (if at all).

I'm young and have just started building a collection of tools, i research almost every item i buy (within reason of course) and all your input would help anyone reading this thread, myself included.

My best purchase would be my 18v dewalt drill that was marked down $100.00 last boxing day.I've got my eye set on a bosch bulldog and am waiting for the price to be right.

*i did a basic search for threads similar to this and didn't find anything, sorry if this has been done already.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
ANything Hilti for me. I once got a PR26 for the proce of a 25 because it needed to come off a truck though. That was a great deal. Also the new TE 1500. Cant beat the rep.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Wow, Great question.
The SINGLE best tool purchase.
I would have to say my trailer. It changed how I do things more than anything else.

The BEST PURCHASE
Hilti 805 for $140

BEST TOOL purchased
Sigma R2D 26" tile cutter It is that much better than the competition. Even better than my FESTOOLS
Craig

·
Registered
167 Posts
Boy this is a tough one! Sooo many tools, sooo many stories! I would say my favorite best deal was getting a brand new 3hp Powermatic 66 cabinet saw for 1200$ delivered back around 94-95. American made & dead accurate right out of the box. The table had such a nice polish to it you could use it for a mirror.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Anything that installs a fastener without a hammer.:clap:

Attachments

Reactions: mattsk8

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Most recent for me is the festool c12 drill, its 4 drills in one and has more power than most my 18v lithion,light and compact, first drill i reach for when on installs:thumbsup:

and a few months back the makita LS1016 mitersaw still lovinging it every time i sqeeze the trigger:thumbsup:

BEST BUY UNDER $50
OHH and cant rule out the stud4sure stud finder, i use 4 of them ,hang them from a wall to nail off base and crown and just keep moving them down the run im nailing,so much faster than eletronic!!

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Yep enclosed trailer here as well.

Skil worm drive changed how I looked at hand held saws. Thought they were always akward and under powered until I used the worm.

Quickbooks saved me so much time and questioning how to keep track of stuff.

Cole

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A good tape measure:thumbup: I wouldn't be much good without one!

I all seriousness, I will agree with Warner on this one. I started out with a Festool TS55, which I ran with an older Fein for some time. Then got the CT22 and a Rotex and their smaller RO sander. Working virtually dust free is such a blessing. Wonder why I didn't do it earlier. A lot less headaches without the dust floating around. Literally and figuratively.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Although Lone is right when you have to hit that nail, i chose Stiletto!.. Anything made by Stiletto is amazing. You can't beat light weight. :clap:

·
Registered
996 Posts
I love the Wera kompac. I keep it on my belt and when ever like about 10 times a day I need a screw driver it is right there I have had it about 6 weeks must have saved me a whole day of running around looking for my screw drivers.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'd have to say my favorite tool is my makita miter saw. I tried to convince myself for the first couple years I didn't need one because I didn't want to store it, pay for it, or carry it. But of all my tools, this is probably my favorite :thumbup:. It does suck to transport because it's heavy and has a big elaborate stand but don't know how I functioned w/out it.
I would also have to include a Skill skillsaw. I got it for christmas one year and figured it was junk so I'd just use it for demo. That poor saw's been to hell and back and still kicking!!

Best deal would be the Fluke voltmeter my neighbor gave me. It's a 87 III true rms!!! and it was freeeee. I could have kissed him. He's an electrician and an all around good neighbor :thumbsup:.

Worst tools would include Dremel for sure, a Dewalt sawzall, and Milwaukee 18v cordless kit- the batterys are garbage!! I do like my Rigid cordless kit (although l/i batterys don't charge well when they're cold) and pretty much no complaints about any of my Rigid tools.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
primatec air floor nailer has probably increased my production more than any tool I've bought. Wasn't cheap, but it paid for itself within the first 3 jobs. Now I can place the flooring & my wife can nail it. Went from 300'/day to 600+ with just the 2 of us. Not to mention, I no longer have tennis elbow from driving 2" cleats in one whack with a 5 pound club. :)

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
Wow, Great question.
The SINGLE best tool purchase.
I would have to say my trailer. It changed how I do things more than anything else.

The BEST PURCHASE
Hilti 805 for $140

BEST TOOL purchased
Sigma R2D 26" tile cutter It is that much better than the competition. Even better than my FESTOOLS
Craig

Hilti 805 for 140 takes the cake. Best purchase ever. Way to go.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
My primatech pneumatic floor nailer would have to be the tool that increased production the most for us. Now, my wife can nail off the floors while I place the boards. Went from 300'/day to 600 plus with just the 2 of us. Paid for itself within the first 2 jobs. Not I have 2 nailers for big jobs. No longer have tennis elbow either from driving 2' cleats with a single blow with a 5# club:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts