Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Still fairly popular in bathrooms here.

If you put something like Anti-Hydro in the grout and seal everything it will last practically forever.

I might just be old school but I like the tile tops better than the POS corian 1 piece garbage that's popular now. :whistling
Corian is junk.

I kinda like the look of a tile top.

·
Registered
24 Posts

If you put something like Anti-Hydro in the grout and seal everything it will last practically forever.

I might just be old school but I like the tile tops better than the POS corian 1 piece garbage that's popular now. :whistling

I made a custom bar table with a tiled top its fantastic. I eat my breakfast off it everyday. ;)

and I stained the legs also!

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Ceramic tile tops are so 80's/90's.

I like the quartz tops. Some styles look like crap though.
Who said anything about ceramic? I do alot in 6x6 porcelain. I did one in 4x4 slate in a cabin a few years ago. Yeah I still use ceramic but there is nothing limiting you to ceramic on counter tops.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Who said anything about ceramic? I do alot in 6x6 porcelain. I did one in 4x4 slate in a cabin a few years ago. Yeah I still use ceramic but there is nothing limiting you to ceramic on counter tops.
I do like the larger tiles on counter tops. I don't tile just tearing out a lot of outdated tile counter tops.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I learned a little more about a couple of the saws today. The MK Diamond TX-3 is built to MK Diamond specifications by a company in Taiwan. The Imer saws are designed and assembled here in the USA with components manufactured in their factory in Italy. I'm still waiting to hear back from Husqvarna about the TS 60.

So far I'm leaning towards the Imer but unfortunately, there does not seem to be anyplace local that has one to look at.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
The new stuff may be great, but the old stuff developed cracks, marked easy and looked cheap.
Yeah, they sell you on how it can be repaired. What they don't tell you is how few people actually do the repairs and how much it costs to repair.

Corian is awesome........if you don't mind spending granite/quartz money on something like looks like laminate.

·
Registered
13,000 Posts
Corian is awesome........if you don't mind spending granite/quartz money on something like looks like laminate.
It is hard to believe that it is more expensive than granite most times, but back in the day if you wanted an ITB it was Corian or cultured marble nothing else. Now there are many fake Corian ITBs available from Mexico real cheap selling as Corian.

·
Hair Splitter
18,337 Posts

Granite is what is popular here.

·
Hair Splitter
18,337 Posts
Yeah, they sell you on how it can be repaired. What they don't tell you is how few people actually do the repairs and how much it costs to repair.

Just quoted out both for a small kitchen and the price was a 1/3 cheaper going with acrylic top. The kitchen would look plain goofy with granite. Arcylic tops still have their place. These customers didn't want to replace their cabinets. They are a bit eclectic.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

Great sales pitch Corian has "it gets damaged easy, but you can fix it!"

Reactions: Robinson1

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Granite is what is popular here.
Hardly ever see it here. Actually I can count on 1 hand the number of homes I've worked on that had granite.

In kitchens formica and corian are what I see the most of here.

Baths are generally corian 1 piece tops.

The craziest counter top I ever did was out of hickory 3 1/4" hardwood flooring. It was in a basement/mancave.

Ended up ripping the tongue and groove off and biscuit jointing the whole thing. Ripped some of the longer pieces down and made edge banding. Then I mixed some self leveling acrylic that I have forgotten the name of but it sure was expensive and pouring over the top. It was shinier than a polished bowling ball. Turned out great. I've got a picture somewhere.

I think at the time I only had about 5 bar clamps and none of them were long enough. I remember running all over town looking for 4 foot bar clamps. Ended up with a dozen sets of Harbor Freight pipe clamp hardware. They worked great and the pipe was more expensive that the hardware. :laughing:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-3-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-cast-iron-pipe-clamp-31255.html

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
We put granite everywhere from kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms and even fire places. We are putting some beautiful quartz tops on this kitchen I'm about to start at the tune of 7500.
I remember a time when I would walk into a kitchen and think "wow granite counter tops!". Now it seems as though granite is in every damn middle market tract home.

I'm more impressed with a custom concrete counter tops, or unique tile counters than I am with thick natural granite.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I remember a time when I would walk into a kitchen and think "wow granite counter tops!". Now it seems as though granite is in every damn middle market tract home.

I'm more impressed with a custom concrete counter tops, or unique tile counters than I am with thick natural granite.
I've got granite tops going into my place tomorrow. I've always liked granite. Soapstone is nice, too.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.