Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Spencer and BRG have the same dewalt? Lol.

Spencer, you say you wouldn't use it in a finished space, you mean like setting it up in a clients bedroom to do tile in their bathroom?

Usually there would be room for it in the space we are finishing off. I snap and angle grind for floors usually. But if I'm doing a shower or a tub surround, etc, I have room in the space for the saw.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Robinson1 said:
You work with much porcelain? What blade do you use in your grinder? I've never had much luck cutting porcelain with a grinder. Seems like I break at least 1 out of 3.
I do some yes. I use a continuous rim diamond dewalt blade from lowes or Home Depot currently... It's about 2 years old and just keeps cutting. I've never broke a tile using it though.

I'm not a tile guy by trade, do 20 jobs a year so limited experience or knowledge as to why it would break the tile. Is it cuts close to the edge? You do have to think ahead and realize the tile will break if you don't cut the right direction first, etc. also maybe making sure it's fully supported if you're not already. I usually cut on a scrap if drywall or plywood.

It also doesn't give chip free cuts on most tile cause it's probably a $10 wheel so they need to be covered by trim. When this wheel dies I might get a nicer one so I can use it on visible cuts too for complicated shower stuff, etc

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
BCConstruction said:
Soap stone marks easier than corian. Its so easy to touch corian up though. My wife cuts on it all the time and I just hit it with a scotch brite type pad and its as good as new right after. The thing is around here corian is cheaper depending on what grade granite you go for. Around here grade B is about what most nice homes have. Most basic homes have grade A and I have never sold anymore than a grade D and that was on a tiny bath counter top. I think the grade E stuff runs around $130 a sqft in this area so it's no wonder its not often seen. Still prefer corian over granite though. I prefer the more modern look.
I have B in my house. It was 2k installed with a sink. This is a house that should sell around 175k

We don't usually do below a B around here. Did an F in one ladies kitchen. Didn't even know it went that high till that job.

But isn't your price crazy high...? Dad has the numbers not me. F isn't even over $100 here. I think A at his discount is $35 or so...

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
BCConstruction said:
Depends where it's bought from. There's about 6 different granite company's near me I can use. Some are half the price for the same grade but install quality and finish quality are worse the less you pay. The prices I'm quoting are from my best supplier. They have a massive indoor show room with numerous kitchens set up and a lot of I stock granite. Plus their installers are anal.
We aren't using the most expensive company town. We were on a job where we were not very impressed with the install at all. The guys we use make every seam disappear. They are tight, fit well everywhere, they do a fantastic install on every aspect.

They just built a killer show room with maybe 10 kitchen set ups and a bath setup, etc. it's a nice looking place. But the bottom line is a great install IMO. These guys give great service all the way around.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
BCConstruction said:
I see grade F stuff that's ugly as hell and grade A stuff that I think looks nice. they had some rare stuff in my suppliers not long ago that was $160 SQFT. Only had one slab though and it was super brittle they said. Prob explains the 1 slab.
Yeah, the rating scale is funny. Some D and E looks awful. I like the B in my house a lot. It just depends on the colors and styles that you have on a job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.